Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Update Progress

17 replies [Last post]
Janeesh Nambirakath
User offline. Last seen 10 years 25 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello Group,

I have a query which is driving me crazy.

I have a WBS created with 20 headings and each heading has 40-50 activities listed under them.

When I try to "update progress" all activities show "% complete" as per the data date which is "Feb 13 2013"

But the Wbs or heading under which the activities are listed shows percentage complete as 0%

eg: foundation is the heaading. FOundation has lot of activities listed below like excavation, PCC, RCC etc. excavation is shown 100% complete, PCC 45 % complete, RCC 0% complete.( everything is perfect). But the heading foundation shows 0% work complete....how do i update thje percentage complete on the heading

Thanks in advance

Replies

dulat Praliyev
User offline. Last seen 4 years 13 weeks ago. Offline

go to View -> Group and Sort -> Cutomize -> Display option -> click Show groups totals  

dulat Praliyev
User offline. Last seen 4 years 13 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Janeesh

please answer for my question: go to General - > % Complete Type. in "% Complete Type" what is written?

Raymund de Laza
User offline. Last seen 32 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

Make your % Complete Type for all activities as Physical.

Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 4 years 47 weeks ago. Offline

Janeesh,

WBS schedule % complete has nothing to do with the progress of it's activities.

for WBS elements, schedule percent complete is calculated as Total Planned Value of all it's activities / Total BAC of all it's activities.

It does not matter what %complete those activities have achieved.

Insert the column "planned Value" -I expect you to see zero planned value for all activities under every WBS element that is showing 0% schedule complete.

To get a % schedule complete greater than zero at the WBS level, at least one of it's activities must have a planned value greater than zero.

For an activity to have a planned value greater than zero, two conditions must be met:

1) the activity must have a BASELINE cost assigned

2) the BASELINE start date of the activity must be earlier than the data date.

Cheers,

G

Janeesh Nambirakath

Hello Ppl,

I assume everybody is suugesting i assign cost to each activity. By assigning cost, you intend, assign resources to each activity, their unit required and the rate per unit for their unit hour and also assign any extra expenses to the activity.

All of my activities have resources assigned and they have their budgted hours required for each activity assigned and the cost for each hour assigned. No activity has been assigned any expenses. Hope this what is meant by adding cost to activity.

My settings in project level says summarize to WBS level.

Iam still not able to get the total in the WBS level. As i have said the first two WBS gives the summary. The remaining WBS says just 0% , but all activities below them are rightly updated to the present date.

Cheers

Janeesh Nambirakath

Hello Ppl,

I assume everybody is suugesting i assign cost to each activity. By assigning cost, you intend, assign resources to each activity, their unit required and the rate per unit for their unit hour and also assign any extra expenses to the activity.

All of my activities have resources assigned and they have their budgted hours required for each activity assigned and the cost for each hour assigned. No activity has been assigned any expenses. Hope this what is meant by adding cost to activity.

Iam still not able to get the total in the WBS level. As i have said the first two WBS gives the summary. The remaining WBS says just 0% , but all activities below them are rightly updated to the present date.

Cheers

Janeesh Nambirakath

Hello Ppl,

Cheers

Janeesh Nambirakath

Hello Ppl,

Cheers

rowstone fausto
User offline. Last seen 2 years 16 weeks ago. Offline

Hi,

Go to your project window detail ang check the default..

-Settings

-Summarize to WBS level

or make sure your schedule loaded with cost.

BR,

Gary Whitehead

Janeesh,

Here's your problem:

1) For activities, schedule percent complete is calculated as elapsed baseline duration / total baseline duration

2) for WBS elements, schedule percent complete is calculated as Planned Value / BAC

Hence if you do not have baseline costs in any activities under a particular wbs element, the schedule percent complete will always equal zero at WBS level

The only way to fix this that I am aware of is to load your baseline activities with costs -this can be £1 per day if you are just doing it for schedule percent complete purposes.

The following link explains how schedule % complete works in more detail:

http://www.plannertuts.com/primavera-p6-tutorials/primavera-p6-schedule-percent-complete-guide-1-1180/

Cheers,

G

Kaif Mohsin
User offline. Last seen 6 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Qatar

Hi Janeesh,

Are, all of your activities cost loaded?

Regards,

Kaif

Janeesh Nambirakath

Dear Gary,

1) I am trying to find out "%schedule complete"

2) My admin settings says - perfomance percentage is calculated by "activity % complete"

and technique for computing estimate to complete is - ETC= remaining cost for activity

3) "show group totals" is ticked in the group and sort box

4) The WBs details tab is same as the admion setting tab

Hope this helps!!

Gary Whitehead

Please also answer questions 2, 3 & 4

Janeesh Nambirakath

I am actually trying to get "% schedule complete"...!! I have the program with all activities showing how much is the percentage complete. But the issue is the WBs doesnt show up or total up the "% schedule complete" of the activities.

The best part is.......the "% schedule completed" is shown for the first two sets of WBS. The rest of the WBS/heading just shows "0% schedule complete" even if teh activities below all are showing "100% schedule complete".

So i assume its a small technical issue where i have not clicked/or have clicked some tab. But am unable to figure out

Kindly advise!!

Gary Whitehead

Hi Janeesh,

A few questions before I can give you the answer:

1) What % complete field are you using? (Activity % complete? Performance % complete? Physical % complete? Schedule % complete? Duration % complete?)

2) Go to Admin>Admin preferences>Earned Value -What setting do you have for "Technique for computing performance % complete" and "Earned Value calculation"

3) Got to View>Group and Sort -What settings do you have for "Show group totals"?

4) Got to Project>WBS, then View>Show on Bottom and make sure "WBS details" is selected. -Now run through each of your WBS elements and check if any of the settings are different to those in the Admin settings as per point 2 above.

Cheers,

G

Janeesh Nambirakath

Hello Mike,

"roll up" tab??? where do i find that option in P6?

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

Hi Janeesh

Have you clicked the "roll up" tab for sumaries?

Best regards

Mike Testro