Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Loading cost on in Progress Project Schedule

3 replies [Last post]
FR L
User offline. Last seen 11 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hello All;

We have a project already started with almost half of some activities finished.The schedule was not prepared in accordance with the BOQ.Now we are given the BOQ and the requirement is to load the schedule with BOQ cost.The activities are totally different.What is the best way to deal with this Situation

Regards

Replies

Javier Loma
User offline. Last seen 3 years 48 weeks ago. Offline

Hello everyone,

I would recomend to stablish the schedule in accordance with the BOQ, as Johannes says. It's not an easy task but you should group the tasks into level of effort or WBS activities. I'd recommend LOE activities. This way you will allocate costs to LOE activities (that group tasks) and it will be much easier.

I also recommend to run a spreadsheet in order to properly allocate the costs to the LOE activities.

hope it is useful for you

kind regards

Johannes Vandenberg
User offline. Last seen 9 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

Hi Fr l

Suggest

• Baseline the present schedule
  • Make the schedule in accordance with the new BOQ
  • Baseline the new schedule in the same schedule.

In this way you have the two schedules with 4 mousecliks at you disposal. Play with the assignement of baselines so that you can compare the old and the new schedule.

Regards

Johannes

Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 15 weeks ago. Offline

It is a reality in the real world that most construction schedules were not done in accordance with BOQ, for several reasons:

1. Tender BOQ is different from detailed BOQ (as derived from detailed design);

2. Following a detailed BOQ as a format for a Schedule may make a time schedule very long or too detailed, that would make it complicated and difficult to maintain.

Simply, the one who made the requirement may don't even have an idea on how to develop a time schedule.

I'm not saying that it's not possible, It may even be an ideal way.

But most of the time, also "time" makes it not practicable.