Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Resource Curves

11 replies [Last post]
AB Timo
User offline. Last seen 9 years 2 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi All p6 users,

Two Questions,

I have added a resource but before assigning it to different activities i have following details to keep in mind,

1- For Some activities the Units/Day are Distributed Equally through out the Duration of the actiivity.My question is that if i do not assign any curve to the resource,will primavera Distribute the unit/Day equally on the activity duration by default??

2-For some activities same resource is required to be distributed unevenly,i.e,

1week = 6hr/Day

2week= 4hr/Day

3week=10hr/Day

4week=3hr/Day

How we can distribute the hr/day like this??

best Regards,

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 9 hours 50 min ago. Offline

4. Resource Curves . The scheduler can use P6 to define how to allocate the resource utilization over the duration of the activity. This is normally not a resource leveling issue because P6 resource leveling does not currently consider resource curves when resource leveling. P6 just uses an even daily distribution for resource leveling.[12]

[12] Resources curves are not used when leveling.

Khuong Do
User offline. Last seen 1 year 51 weeks ago. Offline

I write an article explain how to use resource curve. Kindly read it here https://doduykhuong.wordpress.com/2016/01/09/how-does-resource-curve-work/

Rafael Davila

Please note I am not against the idea of bucket planning even if it breaks the rules of scheduling, just that the implementation must be transparent. It shall be clear it is implemented, when and how. It shall be shown in the resource usage, I believe it does, otherwise better do resource planning on a separate worksheet as most contractors do at some time.

In P6 I believe you should be able to display bucket planning bars, while if this is ever implemented in Spider using a direct way then bucket planning bars should be shown as if a Multi-resource [just another type of multi resource that breaks some rules].

The issue is to always be aware of it.

AB Timo

Adrian,

Following is the information that I have about bucket planning.

For activities having budgeted units to spread unevenly ovrr the duration of an activity then you adopt one of the following to more accurately capture when you plan for work to be performed on an activity:

1) Assign a Resource Curve to the resource/role assignment.
2) Manually enter the assignment’s budgets units or remaining units in future period buckets (timeperiods)

,but if you answer Rafael Query,it will make the image further clear.

Regards,

Rafael Davila

Adrian,

1- Does bucket planning follow the activities; ie, if an activity is rescheduled do bucket planning moves with it?

2- Can P6 display bucket planning Bars?

3- What happens with bucket planning when you resource level?

• Are  over allocations solved?
  • Do bucket assignments move with resource leveling? 
  • Is bucket planning resource usage deducted from availability when leveling, no matter if these assignments are frozen in time?
  • Or perhaps Bucket Planning does not take into consideration the CPM logic?

Regards,

Rafael

AB Timo

hi adrian,

Yes it would be helpful if you explain the "bucket Planning" Concept.

Regards,

Adrian Nicholas
User offline. Last seen 7 years 2 weeks ago. Offline

HI Timo,

Generally P6 will distribute the units linearly across the activity duration based on the activity calendar or resource calendar which is dependent on your activity type.

But for  assign units for each resource/day, you can use what we call 'bucket planning' in P6 to assign each hour by day across the resources. You can find this method in the P6 manual. Other wise I could do some print screen shots and show them to you.

Cheers,

Adrian N

Rafael Davila

Timo,

As soon as you are sure it works share your knowledge.

FYI, I use a free print screen utility called PicPick, you can Google for it and download it for free. Then I save the image on a free file hosting service called Photobucket. From Photobucket I copy my image HTML code and paste after clicking on Disable rich-text on the window at the lower left, I go back to rich text display and finish editing my posting. For knowing where to post the HTML code I write many XXXXXXX on the rich text screen and when changing to disabled rich text I look for my XXXXXXXX cut it and paste there the code, after a few days you get used to it. 

Regards,

Rafael

AB Timo

Hi Rafael,

i think i have found an interesting Solution.I am sure its Gonna work.

in project Window ----> Calculation tab (Uncheck the option "link budget and at comlition for not started activities" )

By Doing this you are now able to adit the future Plan According to your requirement.Now you can assign resource according to your single day requirement over the duration of an activity,like i asked earlier,

1week = 6hr/Day

2week= 4hr/Day

3week=10hr/Day

4week=3hr/Day........and so on.

When you edit a future period value for an assignment, the Curve column automatically displays a value of Manual, even if a pre-defined or custom curve was previously assigned.

Once an activity is in progress and changes occur to the project plan, you can manually edit the activity assignment’s past and future period Budgeted Units and future period Remaining (Early) Units to reflect changes to the original plan

i am not able to paste here the print screen otherwise I could show you the results.

Regards.

Rafael Davila

Timo,

I use different software so the solution in my software would be different. Anyway your question reminds me of when I was a SureTrak user.

Suretrak would allow you to assign resources with a resource lag and resource duration independent of the activity, not a good practice but a functionality available I understand for those who are not concerned about automatic resource leveling, same as with resource curves.

Try the following.

Create a five days week with all five workdays of 10 hours

Create a 20 days activity, activity type fixed duration variable units/time  and assign this calendar to the activity and the resource, then;

• Assign resource with resource lag =0 days, resource duration= 5 days, hours = 6x5 = 30 [or units per time 6h/d]
  • Assign resource with resource lag =5 days, resource duration= 5 days, hours = 4x5 = 20 [or units per time 4h/d]
  • Assign resource with resource lag =10 days, resource duration= 5 days, hours = 10x5 = 50 [or units per time 10h/d]
  • Assign resource with resource lag =15 days, resource duration= 5 days, hours = 3x5 = 15 [or units per time 3h/d]

Note that when assigning resources you shall be able to change units per time on each assignment to make it different than the resource default as I recall from P3e.

Good luck, I am not sure it will work.

Rafael

Shah. HB
User offline. Last seen 15 weeks 22 hours ago. Offline

Hi Timo

1- For Some activities the Units/Day are Distributed Equally through out the Duration of the actiivity.My question is that if i do not assign any curve to the resource,will primavera Distribute the unit/Day equally on the activity duration by default?

Suggestion :

In general resource will be distributed in linear graph if any of the resource curve unassigned

2-For some activities same resource is required to be distributed unevenly,i.e,

1week = 6hr/Day

2week= 4hr/Day

3week=10hr/Day

4week=3hr/Day

How we can distribute the hr/day like this??

Suggestion :

To meet your requirement you need to use resource curve

Cheer's

Shahul