Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Planning Practical Tool - VBA spreadsheet program for Resource Profile Curve

4 replies [Last post]
victor ruiz
User offline. Last seen 3 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

The Resource Profile Curve or more commonly known as S-Curve effectively presents the project workload distribution in terms of labor units or cost of a baseline schedule. During program updates, the S-curve reflects the project performance by means of the actual curve and actual periodic bars.

Most often, the Progress Profile Curve is a basic requirement to be included in baseline schedule proposal and progress reports.

After loading resources or cost to your work program, P6 will provide you with the ‘Resource Profile Curve. During schedule updates, the P6 chart will reflect the cumulative curve and periodic bars for actuals.

But, where are the percentages and the data labels?

Well, P6 will not provide you with a tabulated percentage, though it can separately generate a printable Activity Usage Spreadsheet. Still, it looks crude if you have the chart on one hand and the chart data on the other.

What if you can extract the P6 raw data and turn it into a chart full of options.

For this purpose, I have created a VBA spreadsheet program that can process the copied P6 data, tabulate the percentage, value or cost, and from the tabulated data, automatically generate a chart will all the information you need.
It even provides a contiguous actual and forecast cumulative curve.
P6, present the cumulative forecast curve as represented by the remaining units or cost, starting from the intersection of the data date line and x-axis or simply from the zero value, most planners I know think otherwise, It should start from the last data point of the actual cumulative line extending to the estimated project finish.

I don’t judge who is wrong and who is right, but I prefer the later.

For those interested planners regarding the VBA spreadsheet, kindly reply to this topic, provide comments and at the same time email me at vicmalou@yahoo.com if you want a copy of the excel file.

If you have some more time to spare, you can read my other post ‘Bridging The Gap – Planning Practical Solutions posted last March 9, 2017.

Replies

victor ruiz

Bro Rajib,

These VBA spreadshet programs that I am creating are designed for P6.

If I have a chance to work on MS Project, I'm sure I can develop similar things.

Beside helping our fellow planners ease their workload by providing this kind of tools, I also encourage them to learn the programming language not limited to VBA.

Even the geek programmers will find hard to develop this kind of program because they are not planners.

While we palnners need only to learn some basic programming language to develop this kind of tool.

Thanks for your time!

victor ruiz

You're Welcome Ferdie.

Hope this will help.

Rajib Ahmed
User offline. Last seen 7 years 4 weeks ago. Offline

Dear Victor Ruiz,

Thanks for sharing an informative tools. 

Would you please let me know this VBA spreadsheet can use for Microsoft Project. 

Ferdinand U.
User offline. Last seen 6 years 33 weeks ago. Offline

Thanks Vic for sharing.

The program is really helpful. Appreciate your effort to share your knowledge and helping planners to achieve maximum efficiency.

Keep up the good work.