Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Resource allocation practice

4 replies [Last post]
Lazy Bookwarm
User offline. Last seen 3 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi,

My programme consists of huge excavation / area grading work for which we are going to use 6 excavators. We have divided the whole area in 6 parts and excavation gonna start in all the areas at same time, hence consurrent work. So in the programme I have to assign resources to these activities. So among the following which is the best practice:

1) create and assign a generic resource called Excavator to all the concurret activities which will show overallocation of resources

2) create resources Excavator 1, Excavator 2 , Excavator 3......, Excavator 6 and assign to relevant activity which will not show overallocation.

Please recommend which one shall be used.

Thanks.

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

then just turn the over allocation bar off 

I don't understand your problem.

You can enter the number of available excavators and level your schedule.

Lazy Bookwarm
User offline. Last seen 3 years 14 weeks ago. Offline

Our client doesn't want to see overallocated resources in the programme. So that's why I wanted to know the standard practice in the industry, wheather it is common to show overallocated resources in the programme or not. 

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

I would choose #1 not only to show the over utilization but to know when you can remove one or more of the excavators off site. Paying for rental or being idel on a project is a wste of money. Send that unused excavator off site to another project to stop the charges.