Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Tendor Program

13 replies [Last post]
Arun Vasanth
User offline. Last seen 5 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Qatar
Hai Friends

Nw I have got the responsibilities to make the tendor program also.Dear friend please help me to prepare a tendor program.Up to wat level We have to show in tendor program.Pleas guide me the WBS for Tendor program??

PLaese
Arun.V

Replies

Tom Howard
User offline. Last seen 8 years 33 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
To answer my last question - just reading an interesting document on line about planning

http://www.ljmu.ac.uk/BLT/BUE_Docs/Peter_Hegarty_et_al.pdf

come across the Acronym PSPD’s...

for those who don’t know (Pictorial Phased Diagrams). Why anyone would think writing or saying "PSPD" is easier than "Phasing Plan", God only knows - but it would surely make you sound very intellectual in a meeting and impress everyone round the table...
Tom Howard
(Thought I’d post the reply here as well to continue the thread)

Thanks Mike,

Guess I do programmes using both Top Down and Bottom Up… can’t say there is a particular approach I adopt to each scheme. Certainly at present, it would be pointless to do Bottom Up and produce a sensible, realistic programme for use in a tender – we would never win the job. We are having to take approx 15-20% out of the realistic programme period (or Client designated period) to be in with a shout. Contracts Managers & PM’s just have to make the programme work somehow once on site. In that respect then, I suppose most of my programmes are Top Down (we know what crazy period will give us a chance of getting called to interview etc). Unfortunately everyone has adopted this strategy, and it will be making for a very contractually aggressive period in the industry.

Cheers for the demo. Wondering now how many other things have got official “methodology” names ???
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 6 days ago. Offline
Hi Tom

If you haven’t tried it before it can make your eyes water.

Send me an email to planning.services@xlninternet.co.uk and I will send you a powerpoint based demo of the method.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Darren Kosa
User offline. Last seen 7 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
Tom,

You’ve never heard of the ’Bottom Up’ method before?

Are you saying that with tongue firmly in cheek ;o)

Regards,

Darren
Tom Howard
Hi Mike,

Never heard of the "Up Bottom" method, and not sure I want to try it... ho ho !

Seriously though, never heard of it before... what is it ??

Tom
Arun Vasanth
Ok Thankyou Guys
Now I got an Idea ...
Mike you are a big inspiration for us ..
I wish to work as an assitant with you atleast 6 months . to loot the treasure from youuu

With regards
Arun Vasanth
Shah. HB
User offline. Last seen 19 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Hi Arun

Just take a look at the WBS i posted few days ago ,under the same subject[Scroll Down].You can get an idea from it
A.Jaffer Sadiq
User offline. Last seen 5 years 25 weeks ago. Offline
hi

Tender Program - First level - Only Making a single line Bar Chart with Duration some Days (all things based on only Year of Experiences)

Mike Testro
Hi Arun

You have been planning for 11 years - how long have you been building things like hotels?

Think about the problem - what is the first thing to put on the programme > then what next > and so on until completion.

By going straight into level 1 you are just guessing and you could be horribly wrong - good luck anyway.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Arun Vasanth
Its a 23 Storeyed building Hotel.
Please tell me the Level 1 WBS .
Regards
Arun V
Mike Testro
Hi Tom and Arun

A tender programme should be as detailed as time and resources allow.

You have both had 11 years planning experience so you should be aware of the Bottom Up Method.

I have had this discussion many times in earlier threads and using correct bottom up planning it is possible to create a very detailed Four Level Resourced programme very quickly.

In a recent thread I boasted that I could prepare a -2 basement +8 level concrete residential structure complete with detailed M&E in 90 minutes.

I failed - it took me 135 minutes.

Even with schematic drawings it is possible to work in detail provided you know how to build it.

In another case I only had an artists drawing for a holiday resort but I knew the required construction sequence so I was able to plan it.

The rule is "don’t guess it when you CAN plan it"

Best regards

Mike Testro
Tom Howard
What are you planning ???

What is the purpose of the tender programme ? It may be to give your own company assurance that you can deliver the scheme in a particular period. It may be to prove to a Client you are a competent contractor...

If for a competitive tender, you need to decide how much float or slack to build into the programme. This is a careful balance of risk v winning the bid. As I have discovered in recent months, Main Contractors are no longer submitting realistic programmes, and will routinely take 15 - 20% off the Client designated construction period. The projects CANNOT be built in this time, but it will win the bid.

The tender programme should reflect the amount of information available to you... no point doing a 500 line programme if you’ve just got 2 A3’s sketch drawings to go off.

Don’t get caught up in too much detail - this can be developed in the Construction Programme. This is where your planning experience in identifying the "critical activities" becomes invaluable.

A tender programme will usually contain (or be linked to) a Design or Procurement Programme. I use negative logic links, so if the contract start date or sequence changes, the Design Programme will be updated to suit.
Shah. HB
User offline. Last seen 19 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Hi Vasanth

Tender programme is a level 1 programme.you can check the below WBS.

You can make simple one with few activities not in detail.For example in a floor you can mention duration required for civil works and mep works then close the WBS

1.General [ NTP, Mobilisation, etc ]

2.Milestones

2.1 Contractual Milestones [Readiness of chillers for operation, Readiness of MV system to reactive power , etc ]

2.2 Project Milestone [ Power ON, Water & Drainage connection, etc ]

3.Information release/Design Availability
4.Free issue Items
5.Statutory Authority NOC’s
6.Provisional Sum
7.Engineering Details [Shop drawings, materials & method statements submission & approvals]
8.Procurement Management [ Order, mgf & Shipment ]
9.Civil Construction –Substructure, superstructure & External works
10. MEP Installations
11. Testing & Commissioning
12. Project Closeout