Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

about Resource Usage/Assigments Table

3 replies [Last post]
Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 8 hours 47 min ago. Offline
Hi to all,

I was a Primavera SureTrak user now venturing into more capable software. Here I was limited to model resource usage using resource lag and resource duration. This I find very useful as it allows the software to reschedule resource usage according to recomputed activity dates on my updates.

Within SureTrak I do not have access to a resource usage/assigments table I can modify and wonder how it works under schedule updates on the other software.

Do edits in the resource assigments locks the resource usage to fixed dates overriding CPM logic on your updates? Could it happen under this circumstances that the software schedule resource usage with no regard to when the activity is to be rescheduled? Please be specific as to your software.

Best regards,
Rafael

Replies

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Hi Rafael

And a Merry Christmas to you and yours.

I am the cook in our house and on Christmas day I am cooking a whole small pig for 5 of us.

I have never cooked one before so it will be interesting.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 8 hours 47 min ago. Offline
Mike,

"in PowerProject it is possible to assign different resources to different periods along the task" - I like this, P3 and SureTrak provides for this with a resource lag and resource duration. I don’t know how all this works out with the resource allocation algorithm but I would have a priority on the resource allocation algorithm and might be willing to split the activity in the few occasions this will happen in my jobs. If it does not affects the resource leveling algorithm then it can be handy.

I am also concerned about period postings a functionality not available in SureTrak, available in P3 only for actual period performance but you cannot edit it easily. As far as I remember within P3 you could edit your last period by running again post period performance without advancing to a new period and even enter negative values after making sure the cursor is inside the box.

I believe newer software versions provide better functionality to deal with period performance, planned and actual, this might include Asta PowerProject, Spider Project, P6 and MS Project.

Thanks for your reply and by the way have a Merry Christmas you and your family.

Best regards,
Rafael
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Hi Rafael

The allocation of resources to tasks can have strange results - particularly if there are multiple calendars to consider.

In PowerProject the resource calendars over ride the task calendars but there is a toggle in the resource set up to "use task calendar" which helps a bit.

Also in PowerProject it is possible to assign different resources to different periods along the task - but you cannot link resources under the task logic - maybe this should be an add on.

Also you cannot assign resources outside the duration of the task.

When resheduling the task logic the resources follow the task.

Regarding updates a 10% time completion on the task will take out 10% of the resource allocation.

You cannot apply progress independantly to resources under one task.

I solve the resource problem by using tasks that carry only one resource by using bottom up FS links.

Best regards

Mike Testro