Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Planning A Tower

11 replies [Last post]
Arun Vasanth
User offline. Last seen 5 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Qatar
Hai friends @present Iam working 45 storeyed residential building.I have few quires ...
Area around 4500M2
How much duration we can give for 1 slab for structural & finishing all activities ???
Any body have a template of tower project ???

Working on all departments in one floor will improve the production or not ???

With regards
Arun.V

Replies

michael ramos
User offline. Last seen 7 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Inside Works:

Blockwork starts after removing Scaffoldings on the current floor (usually removed after casting the third slab above the current floor or shuttering work of the fourth slab above)

Marking and Chasing comes after block then Conduiting works for MEP at wall

Ducting and Piping supports at Ceiling to follow

Installation of Ducting and Piping at Ceiling usually comes after plaster

Santhosh kumar Na...
User offline. Last seen 6 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
Hi For high rise building take care the following
1.Sequencing shall start form footing just convering core
2.Slab will follow
3. Normally 7 - 10 days per floor if you use slip form
4. consider duration to install slip form normally 10 days
5. Provide a link to keep core & slab level difference 3 or max 4 floors to have boom access for concrete.
6. Consider min 10 day duration for protection plat form around the building prior to start cladding.
7. You can start cladding upon completion of 15 or 20 floors.
Use the same cycle of 7-10 days for all finishes per floor assign the resources accordingly.

8. And many points ofcourse discuss with your PM & CM and other site engineers about the constructability, site access, tower crane location, whinch location (later you need to close that too) etc.

Reagrds
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 6 weeks 6 days ago. Offline
Hi Arun

We do not yet know if your tower is steel or concrete?

If it is concrete then send an email to planning.services@xlninternet.co.uk and I will send you a demo of how to plan a bottom up programme for an insitu structure.

You are getting bits and pieces of good advice but the main things to consider are:

1. Shrinking footprint on upper levels - Scaffolding prevents roof cover until struck.
2. Hook time resource for tower crane.
3. Weathertight point at each level - see 1. + Cladding.
4. Max man day resource - cannot exceed provision of site facilities.
5. M&E commissioning - you will never allow enough time if there is a BMS system.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 1 week 13 min ago. Offline
If a concrete structure the following reference might provide you with an introduction on the sequence for shoring and re-shoring.

http://www.gamcoform.com/dropshore/documents/ACI%20Reshore.pdf

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa5363/is_200602/ai_n21395792/

As a rule of thumb, we use one level of shoring and two of re-shoring for flat slabs while we use an additional level of re-shoring for concrete joist slabs.

About the building enclosure this will be interesting, the rest should follow a weekly sequence, maybe 4 stories per week like the Empire State, before the invention of CPM, if using old technology for steel frame buildings.

from The Empire State Building by Theodore James (1975)

Official Empire State Building website

Construction of the Empire State Building began in March of 1930 on the site of the old Waldorf-Astoria Hotel at 350 Fifth Avenue at 34th Street. It was completed 14 months later in May, 1931. Designed by the architectural firm of Shreve, Lamb, & Harmon Associates, the Empire State Building, at 102 stories, was the tallest building in the world until the completion of the first tower of the World Trade Center in Lower Manhattan in 1972.

For Concrete frames no way to have that speed, it is common for concrete frame buildings to go up at the rate of one story per week.

Best regards,
Rafael
Arun Vasanth
Thxs A...lot Mycal...
michael ramos
User offline. Last seen 7 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
hi all

since the topic is planning/building a tower

maybe we could discuss here the sequences and critical issues/points in building a tower (normal design)

like:

corewalls & core slab areas to be ahead from 2 to 10 (in case of slip form and jumpform systems) floors from main slabs to fix the lift inside the building early

sealing the envelope (curtain wall/cladding) at the soonest to prevent water intrusion (typhoon storms/rains) from flooding the building.

having the waterproofing of upper floor wet area approved before closing the false ceiling of current floor wet area

fixing the door shutter before sanitary toilet seats to avoid the laborers abuse of the toilets (in cases where temporary labor waste rooms are limited to every 5 floors)

fix the door shutter before light fittings and any quick to materials final fix to avoid being stolen

consideration of material storage ( maybe assigning every 4-5 floors as storage for aluminum materials like glass panels and claddings ).

appreciate your more inputs thanks

Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Arun,

The foot print of the tower is small 45 stories x 100 = 4500m2. Or do you have a special shape? In any event, the mentioned area is small for a tower this size.

You might benefit from the information that I posted in your other inquiry under the same category.

The best solution is to work with the project team under the supervision of a senior person. And you need to keep asking questions in order to learn what you do not know.

With kind regards,

Samer
Arun Vasanth
Thnxs Mike
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 6 weeks 6 days ago. Offline
Hi Arun

A 45 storey tower is a massive project and if you have never worked on one before I doubt that you have the planning experience to put the programme together without experienced project management input.

My doctrine which I have stated many times in this arena is "If you can’t build it - you can’t plan it."

My advice is seek advice on sequencing and logistics from someone who knows how to build it.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Arun Vasanth
Thxs Anoon
Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
Arun,

Before I made this post, I’m the only one who knew that I’m an expert in buildings (now, you know).

With regards your question, "Working on all departments in one floor will improve the production or not ???"

My answer is No, but it is necessary as regards inspection and analysis.

Practically, works cannot be done at the same time, so you need to sequence it, for example: a cycle per floor (including risers). Structural or concreting works shall include rough-ins for MEP - where applicable.

hope this helps