Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Critical Path Method

6 replies [Last post]
Irfan Khan
User offline. Last seen 11 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
hi to all,

i m unable to understand Logic of Critical Path. Because i submitted schedule to consultant and after review of consultant i got this comments that is "NO ANY ACTIVITY IN CRITICAL PATH".

I know that the activity have "ZERO (0)" float it will be in critical path and i also know that 30% of activity should be in critical path while making schedule.

so i not understanding that what activity should i keep in critical path.

please somebody make me understand with any specific example .

Thanks in advance..

Irfan Khan

Replies

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Hi Rafael

CPM Forensics is a Dark Art, just use a few esoteric words and establish yourself as an expert.

That is exactly how I started 12 years ago when nobody knew what they were doing anyway - furthermore very few could work the software like I could.

Doesn’t work any more though.

You can read all the books that you want on delay analysis but it won’t help you with your first live case when you have to present it and defend it under hostile cross examination.

Best regards

Mike Testro

PS you will have noticed that I have moved this thread away from P3.
Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 1 day 1 hour ago. Offline
CPM is like chess; you learn the basic moves and then immediately you become a master.
CPM is like scuba diving; first you drown then you read the theory.
CPM is like Surgery; first you use the scalpel like a butcher would then you worry about malpractice.
CPM is like skydiving; all you have to do is pull the cord.
CPM is like electrical engineering; all you need to know is how to plug the cord.
CPM is like any sport; play it wrong and you won’t injure yourself, just the other players.
CPM Forensics is a Dark Art, just use a few esoteric words and establish yourself as an expert.

Woo neds efrucation.

Formal efrucation is worthless, VAN ALL SCHUULS, don’t waste your tyme.

Teach your kids on how to eat “jobos”, in our street language means to skip classes, go to the beach or riverside and eat some jobo fruit. I am already on the trend, last week I planted a jobo tree next to the lime and tangerine trees.
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Hi Ronald

You don’t need to know how to make a ballpoint pen to write a postcard - neither do you need to understand the algorithms behind the software to draw up a critical path programme.

Just build it in your head and the taskks will fall into sequence.

Hi Shahul

With no critical path shown check the last activity in the programme and see if it has a must end by constraint.

In fact take off ALL restraints - you don’t need them.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
When you talk of critical activities in a CPM schedule, you are referring to the results of a process and calculation. You must understand the process and calculation before you can understand critical activities.

Before you proceed further, you need to study. You cannot get that learning here in an on-line forum. The subject is too large to condense into a little box. You need to learn about CPM from books and classes. Good luck!
A D
User offline. Last seen 3 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Check the number of open ended activities
Shah. HB
User offline. Last seen 19 weeks 6 hours ago. Offline
Hi
Critical path depends on your nature of the project you need to discuss with your project manager to sort out critical path.

Critical path depends on activities relationship,duration and constraints

No activity in critical path means have you introduced project must finish by constraint ?