Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Bothersome interviews question

12 replies [Last post]
Yasser Elyosefi
User offline. Last seen 4 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hello Planners,

There is a question that is sometimes asked at the end of interviews which is:

Did you apply for any other job/company in the meantime or did you get any offer??

I wonder what is the rationale behind this question?

Is it positive or negative to tell them yes, I applied and waiting for an offer??

Regards,

Yasser

Replies

Yasser Elyosefi
Larry, thanks for your input.

That makes sense. However, I think it is better not to disclose the companies’ names (X or Y). If disclosed, the next question might be "what they offered you?". Again, disclosing the offer is not good in my opinion. Disseminating companies information may negatively reflect on the interviewers’ impression. They will doubt the same will apply toward their company if they approved me to work with them.

However, currently, I feel that interviewers representing companies need to know every and each detail about the interviewee and the market as well. In some instances, interviewers, specially HR people, want to test and taste the market rather than the interviewee.

Yasser
Larry Bjorn
User offline. Last seen 11 years 25 weeks ago. Offline
Yasser

The main rational of this question, I would have thought, is to identify their competitors for your services.
Depending on your answer, it may as well give them an indication on the desirability of your services.

Surely, you should never lie in an interview. However, it is your responsibility to present yourself and your background as positively as possible. Avoid any negative criticism about yourself, colleges, and previous employers.

Back to the question, I think, the last thing you should answer is “I have applied to many jobs but have so far been unsuccessful. Please give me this job because I’m desperate”.
If you have applied to other companies, limit your answer by only referring to companies most closely resembling the interviewers company. The ideal answer, I think, would be something like “I have had two other interviews with X and Y during the week and the feedback received so far has been positive. However, I have been very impressed with your company and hope we can reach a positive agreement”. That would give them the impression that you just started looking for a job, you are desirable and confident, and that you are keen in their position.

Regards,
Larry
Yasser Elyosefi
Come on planners

Need your thoughts and ideas
Sreejith Nair
User offline. Last seen 12 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
I really didn’t get what Mr. Chris mean to say!
Chris Oggham
User offline. Last seen 9 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Yasser,

I see where you’re coming from, but why would either company think they were just a standby? What I suspect the interviewer may have got annoyed about was the possibility of losing you to a competitor.

There are, I suppose, going to be some cases where the interviewer could think if a candidate had applied for a job with a competitor then we don’t want them working for us, and treat you accordingly. I think that in that situation it’s their loss, and you’re probably better off not working for a company where that sort of pettiness exists. Having said that, I’ve never had anything like that happen to me.

If you feel it necessary, I suppose you could always explain that you had applied to more than one organisation because:

• As a planner you believe that you should examine all options;

• You believe that you could make a real contribution to the organisations you have applied to;

• You will be able to develop you expertise and experience with the organisation both for your own and the organisation’s benefit;

I don’t think most companies would make a big thing about it.

Chris Oggham

Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 5 days ago. Offline
Yasser
You start an interview with some general questions and you end it with general questions. The question, if you apply for other jobs is one of those typical questions to end an interview. Everybody will assume that you do.
But in the previous post - my humble opinion - you may better have answered: "I don’t tell the name of company". Otherwise they may ask themselves how ready you are for distribute internal informations.
Regards
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Hi Yasser

There is no problem in withholding details if they breach confidentiality.

When aked the name of the company your correct answer should be "I am sorry but that is confidential information" and you will be respected for it.

Why should the interviewer be told which of his competitors are actively recruiting planners?

Best regards

Mike Testro
Yasser Elyosefi
Dieter,

I think that there still something behind this question which we don’t know about and consequently we don’t know if it works in our favor or against it.

We should be keen about it and to imagine what is running behind the scene.

Yasser
Yasser Elyosefi
Mike & Chris,

Thanks for your input. You are absolutely right about telling the truth and to be always transparent. But these are the pros. What are the cons?

I remember in one interview that I replied "Yes I applied for a company. the interviewer asked me its name, and I told him its name". But, I felt that the interviewer got annoyed of that.

If you are the interviewer, won’t you cast doubts on the interviewee?

Some companies, I think, don’t like to be put or used as stand-by. They don’t like to be one of the stations that you might or might not choose to stop on.

Yasser
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 5 days ago. Offline
Yasser
In addition to Mike and Chris: If you are a good professional you just don’t focus on one job during your job search - or you are just in the starting phase.
If they have the impression you are honest it is an advantage.
Good Luck!
Dieter
Chris Oggham
User offline. Last seen 9 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Yasser,

Mike is absolutely right. Tell them the truth, it will do you no harm for them to know that you are confident enough in your abilities to apply to more than one potential employer. As Mike points out, there is also the possibility that they already know whether you have made other applications or not. Confirming what they already know or suspect will enhance your reputation for honesty and integrity.

Chris Oggham
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Hi Yasser

It is always good practice to tell the truth at interviews.

You never know what they know when they ask a question.

Best regards

Mike Testro