Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

CPM any OTHER

19 replies [Last post]
ulysses garcia
User offline. Last seen 13 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Qatar
This is true also when the theory of gravity was first discovered , then another great scientist in our modern days is opposing to it...
Is this CPM we are using today is the right tool.

Replies

Shaiju Thomas
User offline. Last seen 9 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi,

Sorry for hear bad comments about CPM theory. Scheduling is not just bar charts.It is know how early and how late you can schedule your activities (floats).

Many project mangers do not even know what is CPM, they are interested to see bar charts only.

Daniel Limson
User offline. Last seen 4 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
CPM works and it is the same philosophy behind all the modern software we are now using.

CPM (critical path method) technique was used to analyse the longest path (critical) on a project. Before the computer era, it was done and calculated manually. Knowing the critical path, the construction team can focus their works on these critical elements of the project to achieve major key dates or completion date of a project.

Now that we all have computers and softwares, it makes our life easier, but let me reiterate that it is the same animal.

Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 6 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
Ulysses
this was not the topic!
Dieter
ulysses garcia
Medieval scientist believed the theory of light,gravity that do not exist; same to us now, we believed the theory of CPM that exist but it doesn’t work at all.

Allow me to divert the topic to gravity, scientist don’t find how,where gravity originated, also they assume light has finite speed, it’s true however, if it has a finite speed, I presumed light runs not in a constant speed.
In other matter scientist don’t find why earth revolves; it’s governed by GOD, but in my findings if the gravitational earth field is absence ,surely earth won’t revolved; days and night do not exist..
This is quiet disapproving.. but think of it.
think of it...
Andrew Dick
User offline. Last seen 8 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
What about critical chain?

Or,

I’ve seen some bang up jobs done in excel.

I even been handed an excel A3 sheet which was the tender program for a multi million dollar job.

It was very pretty, little cute boxes with a timescale across the top and everything, only trouble, the dates down the left hand side didn’t correlate with the position of the boxes on the grid area – sheer brilliance. (Project’s late now)

I’ve even seen a customer given a PowerPoint slide with the contractually agreed critical path on it for a $500 million project, It was never updated after that and everyone was surprised when I said there was a difference from the schedule to the PowerPoint slide, Imagine that!!!!!.
Larry Bjorn
User offline. Last seen 11 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Planners,

Don’t know how a planner can reject CPM as a credible tool? CPM is the theoretical backbone of planning and float theories. Tell me, what would planning profession be without floats? Granted, planning is not only about CPM but I could not imagine planning without it.

But then, all this years as a planer, I might be brainwashed.

Regards,
Larry
ulysses garcia
Naas,
I myself think that there is a big piece missing from accepted CPM theory, but this particular theory doesn’t agree with reality.
Wait, I am working on it...
Richard Spedding
User offline. Last seen 5 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Dieter, Ulysses

Just coz CPM is old doesn’t make it bad. (And it isn’t old, not yet 50 years old!)

If anyone out there has anything against it then they should be quiet until they have a well thought-out alternative which can be proven to work, rather than a different name for the same thing.
ashraf alawady
User offline. Last seen 9 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Dieter

I’m totally agree with your explaination and i would like to discuss this imprtant issue deeply.
Dieter Wambach
Ulysses

YOU keep believing..
ulysses garcia
CPM - WE keep on believing on this theory that it doesn’t work...
Dieter Wambach
Hi all

CPM as a method is
- Rather old now
- Its advantages and disadvantages well known
- Its mathematical theorie covered
- It’s easy to use

Is there a better one? No - I’m sure. With this lack of alternatives, it is "best practice". I can work with its disadvantages and profit of its advantages.
Bysani mentioned CCM: It is more than 20 years ago when I saw the first try to apply this method. First result was that the management cancelled the buffer - the project exceeded schedule. Always, if you publish a buffer, management says that with their knowlegde and experience this buffer is not required. Later it was always the lack of experience of project member which lead to failure. I saw many of these attempts - none of them ended successfully. With big luck I always managed that never a project of mine was involved into such illusions.
Resource oriented relationships you can use together with CPM as well.
Maybe Uly’s thesis for phd - with his new method - will turn pm upside down, but now I live with what’s feasible.
Regards and have a nice weekend
Dieter
ulysses garcia
CPM does not work precisely for almost half century,I think we need to look a conventional approach or invent differnet type aside from the traditional CPM..
Oliver Melling
User offline. Last seen 4 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: The GrapeVine
Look on the internet for CPM pro/cons, is easier than us doing your homework!
ashraf alawady
I’m working since long time to study and analize the advantages and dis-advantages of this method ,can any one advise me in points about his opinion regarding the advantages and dis-advantages of this method in order to add these points to my list and my final report.
Shahzad Munawar
User offline. Last seen 8 years 50 weeks ago. Offline
No doubt CPM is the correct method to analyze the programmes than any other available methods.
ashraf alawady
I feel that CPM is the right and accurate method but we have to think how to improve it and maximize it;s advanteges and minimize it;s dis-advanteges-if any.
ulysses garcia

GRAVITY- THE ORIGINAL THEORY WAS OPPOSED BY ISAAC NEWTON..

CPM - WILL BE OPPOSED BY ME SOON...
Bysani Balaji
User offline. Last seen 16 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
I feel critical chain is a better tool compare to CPM as critical chain considers resource dependencies and it sets aside the entire project buffer which we can use at any point of time.