Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Hello Guyssss I've just got into this Airport planning role any tipssssssssss

7 replies [Last post]
BRAVE G
User offline. Last seen 7 years 1 week ago. Offline

I would be a proactive planner. who would input data and chase people all about. Any tips that can help would be appreciated.

Geofff.

Replies

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Hi Geoff

Lets see if I understand your query.

You are updating the programme and retaining regular baselines as you go - presumably baseline of the original.

Now you make changes to the programme and want to know what to use as the baseline for the changed programme.

It all depends on the form of contract and what use your programme is being put to.

If it is an approved programme and the changes have been approved then re baseline to the changed programme.

If it is an approved programme and the changes have not been approved you continue with the original and run the change in parallel if you intend making a claim.

If it is an internal programme for internal information then you can re baseline to the changes.

Best regards

Mike Testro.

Tom Howard
User offline. Last seen 8 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

This is a joke, right?

BRAVE G

Just want to validate this with youuuuu. I am confined to primavera p6 so there's no alternative. please advice if you have recently used primvera p6 or very conversant with p6

1. You plan in p6  lets say PLanA

2. Now you update by selecting project, maintain baseline, then copy. this will save a copy of your original plan.......

3. You select project Assign baselines and make this your project baseline and primary baselines.....

4. Then you update your plan with the actuals and so onnnn.

Now you want to replan so you UNLINK your baseline from your PlanA then you replan..... PLan A <R> 

My question is if you want to update the second time or after you have amended your plan wat will you make yoiur baseline.........

please HeLPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPp

Stephen Devaux
User offline. Last seen 17 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Mike Testro wrote:

"Make sure that your tasks are all completed on time or you will lose credibility when demanding the same from your team."

Gold, Mike, absolutely pure gold! And particularly important when working in a culture (like mine!) which has a, let's say "very relaxed", attitude toward time and punctuality.

In the graduate courses I've taught at the University of the West Indies, I not only ensure my own punctuality, but also announce at the start of the course that students arriving late for class will be penalized.  Otherwise more than 50% would stroll in 45 minutes late or more. 

I do explain to them that project management relies on time management and that if they show up even one minute late for an interview with a developer from Europe or North America, they will have lost the job! And when they complain that "the bus doesn't get here till half past," I explain the importance of schedule reserve and show them how to incorporate it into their daily lives.  I also point out the very high statistical correlation between per capita income and cultures that emphasize punctuality.

Fraternally in project management,

Steve the Bajan

BRAVE G

Thanks Guys. when i got there the project had already started but have not been updated because the previous planner though proficient was always drunk and skips work often....... Some activities have been updated  to be completed while they have not been in reality. no roles or resources some pple tryin not to give information. Project manager wants the project to take as long as it can so he can contiue with his high daily rate......

the list goes on. so i have a lot to catch up on..... we'll see how it goes..........

I will sure let you guys know wats goin on here....

dammnnnnn

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Hi Geoff

Get out on site at least once a day - see whay is happening or more important NOT happening - ask questions and note down the answers.

Set up standard pro forma sheets for data input from sector managers.

Be polite but firm when getting data.

Make sure that your tasks are all completed on time or you will lose credibility when demanding the same from your team.

Always rember that you are a part in that team and a small one at that.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Mangesh Khuspe
User offline. Last seen 27 weeks 4 hours ago. Offline

Hi Geoff,

Congrats on your role,

1) Go throught the entire drawings.

2) read BOQ throughly

3) Read Contract Documents entirely for all important points.

With Regards,

Mangesh