Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Indicating Procurement activities in the program

8 replies [Last post]
Kumar I
User offline. Last seen 13 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
1.What is the best way to indicate the procurement activities in the program.Especially where material lead time is high and the same is required before a planned activity can start.
eg submittals,approvals,order,___ FS(procurement lead time as dummy activity)-Delivery activity
Showing procurement lead time as dummy activity is better or to split it and show it as manufacturing/procurement/shipment activities.
What are the advantages and disadvantages in the above.

2.What is the best method to show procurement of material for the material locally available.
eg 1) PROCUREMENT,FABRICATION AND DELIVERY OF AIRCONDITIONING DUCTING IN A MULTISTOREY BUILDING - 40 storeys.

2) Procurement of various materials like pipes for firefighting ,watersupply drainage,electrical conduits for various floors of the above building

Is One Delivery bar with ss relationship with lag to the the installation of the various above activity enough.
Are the procurement of such activities required to be shown in the schedule ?

Replies

Natesh Gutti
User offline. Last seen 12 years 20 weeks ago. Offline

hi,

Dear all,

i am new to this site, but i need your professional support in the quest of my quessionaire.

I desperately need 400kv transmission line L2 schedule against the schedule given by client.

Love u all

Natesh Gutti

Rolyn Jalea
User offline. Last seen 11 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,

If you have time, try to create a procurement programme of all the materials needed at site & showing all the procurement activities. Then try to put a late finish constraint on the last activity (say material on site) based on the early start of a certain activity in your baseline programme in which this material will be used. Through this, you are indirectly linking the procurement schedule and your construction schedule.

Then try to run it in report writer grouping the activities material wise. Although it requires a lot of time updating every single activity, it is useful in the end because you can monitor each and every materials, and you will know its potential delay. And besides, it is much easier to understand because you can generate the report on tabular form.

MUHAMMAD IQBAL
User offline. Last seen 6 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
develop
the project with all of procuremet activities

RFQ,Apprv,PO, Facbrication,Lead time,Deliv on site

assign some %wt to each and Monitor it progress

so that material should be on site as required

u can aslo make programmimg in xls

have fun
Jackie Gilliland
User offline. Last seen 13 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
I believe in very much the same phylosophy as Omar.

I also suggest you be carefull of scheduling detail activities of which you do not have a direct means of tracking. This does not mean feedback from suppliers as I have often found this as either not forthcomming or unreliable. Without accurate feedback you may just as well not have these activities at all.

Jackie Gilliland
Omar Grant
User offline. Last seen 15 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
I find a Milestone ROS (Required On Site) is a handy tool as a linkage prior to the requirement for the equipment/bulk item(s) installation in the contruction schedule. The ROS MS should be lagged by whatever time it takes to receive & process particular equipment before its release to the construction/installation crews. Of equal importance to the manufacture/delivery of some equipment can be the timing of the receipt of the cerified vendor data from suppliers which impacts on the completion of design. Often the criticality of procurement items is not their delivery but the impact on engineering design if the order is placed too late. Cheers
Clive Randall
User offline. Last seen 16 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Suggest you identify what activities items will have a long lead
Most of these will be delievered from offshore
Suggested items
Chillers
Valves
pumps
puddle flanges
dampers
VAV
FCU
etc
Find out what the suppliers are saying
Think about port clearance and delivery and see what that tells you.
Remember that for these items approval will be required often prior to manufacture
partial payment almost certainly.
If you believe you have a problem schedule it and define the logic.
Clive
Zhang Haixiang
User offline. Last seen 3 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
make it easy. don’t split them, just focus on "on site" date. try to get new "on site" date from the vendor when you update your schedule.( only long lead item)

for other material that has a short lead time, no need to put in the schedule, a single bar does not help the schedule. (it just make your schedule looks nice)

It’s my opion,for your refernece

Steven Oliver
User offline. Last seen 11 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
Depends upon how serious the delay of delivery of your materials would impact upon your schedule.

If delay in delivery impact is high, then I would detail the same to a sufficient level to track progress and mitigate impact.