Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Key Performance Indicators

17 replies [Last post]
Andrew Owenson
User offline. Last seen 15 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi Guys

I have been asked to produce a set of KPI’s for Planners. They will be used to monitor performance and will be used as a basis of bonuses. This system will be intended to be used in both tender and construction programming. I have thought of a few

Team leader satisfaction with the overall service provided
Team leader satisfaction with product
Programme delivery (within agreed timescale)
Programme accuracy
Progress moniotoring

Any ideas

Andrew

Replies

Amendra Jagoda
User offline. Last seen 16 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Alex,
You are truly correct, if you plan for productions/manufacturing, in such case, your goal is to achieve the target out put.

But Construction planning and monitoring progress is different. It is generally through a long period, a year or two or more. During such periods, many unforeseen condition may be generated due to variations, work stoppages, force mageure, submittals and approvals, procurement etc. At the end of the day, to create a cause and effect analysis to adjudicate who is resposible for each delay (employer,engineer or contractor), use of KPI is one of the important estimation method, that you can justify your assessment.
Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 1 week ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
Dear All

For my team members I prefer look at outcomes and result rather than KPIs

I looking at KPIs is processes and outcomes is output.

Input -> Process -> Output
Effort -> Performance (KPIs) -> Result

Some time excellent proceesses do not garrantee excellent outputs. So, my staff I would concentrate on the outcomes and outputs.

Cheers

Alex
Mohammed Abo El Magd
User offline. Last seen 14 years 31 weeks ago. Offline
Andrew
If the deviation between original and actual is 10 to 15% ,That would be acceptable and a success for the planner. If the percentage exceeded this range we have to investigate the reasons for this deviation if it were planning problems or execution problems. It should be a wise investigation not just pointing fingers to each other. The main goal from it should be avoiding such problems in the future.
Andrew Owenson
Mohammed

How would you be able to differentiate between the accuracy of the planner’s programme and the site’s delays, not claimable delays but mistakes, lack of coordination etc

Cheers

Andrew
Mohammed Abo El Magd
Andrew
Oh,,, now I got it. I thought you mean how applicable was the plan and what was the deviation between actual and the original plan, is it with in acceptable range or beyond that. By the way, you could consider that one of your KPI points.

Sorry for the delayed response

Regards
Andrew Owenson
Mohammed

Sorry I missed your point regarding the 4th point - accuracy

What I meant by this was does the programme accurately reflect the scheme - the scope on the drawings, bills etc. I take on board the general comment by everyone about peoples perception rather than fact. My concern is that what else can a planner be measured against?

Cheers

Andrew
Andrew Owenson
Clive

100 lines - I must behave myself in class.

Cheers

Andrew
Clive Randall
User offline. Last seen 16 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Andrew
I stand corrected
Chris Oggham
User offline. Last seen 9 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
Andrew,

You’re right, there is nothing wrong with having Key Performance Indicators, sometimes they’re called Key Success Indicators showing just how well you’re doing your job. Whatever you decide on as the KPIs you should try to ensure that they are SMART, Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, Time-related.

That way you avoid any recriminations about unfairness, or dependence on somebody’s opinion, which can cause problems.

Chris Oggham
Andrew Owenson
Clive

Its a contractor. The KPI’s will be used as part of the appraisal process. What is wrong with having key points as a measuring device? People who are doing their job to their best abilities should not be worried about being assessed. I Personally have no problem being assessed via a stuctured appraisal process.

Anybody else got any thoughts ?

Cheers

Andrew
Clive Randall
User offline. Last seen 16 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Andrew
Have they given up on staff performance appraisals and returned to the battery hen method of management
Have u obtained your slopy dickensian desk yet
Is it time for you to leave and get a new job
Is this a consultant or contractor
Clive
Steven Oliver
User offline. Last seen 11 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
How many points do I get for Insolence, Intolerance and Sarcasm ?
Sukumaran Subaram...
User offline. Last seen 8 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Malaysia
Well general appraisal is always better than specific appraisal, i.e:
a) Communication
b) Team work
c) Efficiency
d) Capability
e) Understanding
f) etc.....

Management can use the general info for salary increment and bonuses payout. As for promotion, management can use the specific info as you mentioned earlier.

Regards.
Andrew Owenson
Thanks for your replies

I was thinking that maybe I could use most of the KPI’s for both Precon (tender) and Construction phases.

I would really like to have about ten points of reference though. ?

Cheers

Andrew
Shah Shams Alam
User offline. Last seen 12 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
Andrew,

Indeed these are good monitoring points. Mohammed is right in pointing out that first two points depend on human mood, but they are very essential. you can also consider taking feedback from end user of the plans. I mean execution team or field personel.

Mohammed Abo El Magd
Andrew,
These are good points, but you should give low weights to the first two points, that both of them depends on human moods which is not always stable.

For the forth point, How do you plan to measure the accuracy?
Steven Oliver
User offline. Last seen 11 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
What ?

Someone wanting to monitor what Planners are doing?

We cant have that.