Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

LEAN Scheduling

14 replies [Last post]
David Andreotti
User offline. Last seen 8 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Has anyone ever heard of this? One of our perspective clients, whose asked us to respond to an RFP, is asking what the CM’s capabilities are in terms of LEAN scheduling. I have read about LEAN scheduling as to how it pertains to invenoty levels in manufacuring. It’s being called "TPS" by Toyota, "Just in Time" by others. I don’t understand how it pertains to construction project scheduling. Are they simply talking about "fast-track"?

Can someone help on this one? Thanks.

Replies

Matthew Edwards
User offline. Last seen 1 year 51 weeks ago. Offline
Matthew Edwards
User offline. Last seen 1 year 51 weeks ago. Offline
If you join the Building Information Modelling Group, we have Alan Mossman from the Lean Construction Institute giving a talk on this subject on the 1st November in London http://www.planningplanet.com/groups/500322/building-information-modelli... The event is free to pp members
Mohamed Hegab
User offline. Last seen 3 years 9 weeks ago. Offline

The Schedule Cracker software check the projects schedule for Lean and even calculates the sigma value (Six Sigma concept).  The Lean and Six Sigma is part of the schedule analysis and review process of it. 

Regards,

Mohamed Hegab,PhD,PE,PMP,MRICS

Schedule Cracker Team

www.schedulecracker.com

Thiagarajan Murug...
User offline. Last seen 9 years 22 weeks ago. Offline

"The MOJ are currently using Lean Scheduling throughout their prison contracts" this is what I was talking about; actually I too am working on couple of prison projects implementing their lean techniques as lean planner.

Andrew Owenson
User offline. Last seen 1 year 3 days ago. Offline

Lean Scheduling covers a whole load of techniques. Bernard is right with his link, you could also try

http://www.constructingexcellence.org.uk/ I used to be on their lean task force. I would also search google for "last Planner" which is a collaborative planning technique where the person doing the work does the planning etc.. if you can cut through the stacks of management speak the system is very interesting and I have used this on a couple on contracts I have worked on recently. The MOJ are currently using Lean Scheduling throughout their prison contracts.

Regards

Andrew

Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 4 years 47 weeks ago. Offline

I think Lean Scheduling refers to applying Lean process improvement techniques to the scheduling process. I've also heard it called a CLIP review.

These techniques may include:

-getting all key suppliers, subbys etc involved in planning workshops

-using post its & string to map out the process flow (or as we call it, PERT)

-robustly challenging all asumptions used in agreeing the process flow & durations (do you really need ALL of my vendor details before you can do ANY work on designing the pump base?)

-Collaboratively identifying which party can achieve reductions in project duration for least overall cost/risk (yes I could airfrieght you the pump instead of shipping, but wouldn't it be cheaper for you to double your process design effort?)

-Actively pursuing means to limit the 7 types of waste identified in LEAN methodology (overproduction, unecessary transport, inventory, motion, defects, over-processing & waiting)

Thiagarajan Murug...
User offline. Last seen 9 years 22 weeks ago. Offline

Hi David,

What I understood about lean is as some of our friends mentioned above, it is a way of thinking to construct something (it can be anything) with "right in time" and "zero waste" principles to achieve effective results (in terms of cost, quality and time).

The term lean scheduling “may be” referred to how you planned to implement this, actually there are some criteria defined by some lean experts to set up a lean program, monitor and report against the progress; I am working on few construction projects as a planner where we implement these criteria.

Rolyn Jalea
User offline. Last seen 11 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
In my understanding, lean construction is just the resources being there at the right place & time whenever you need it, thus, maximizing the space & manpower used in transfering on resources from 1 place to another. My manager comes from a manufacturing field and teach me some basic principles regarding this concept. This is best applicable if the construction site has a shortage of laydown area and the materials can’t be delived by bulk.
If I understood properly what is meant by Lean construction it is exactly the same what I described in my posting. In this case I don’t understand why there is a need for the special term. We always use this approach (plan supplies together with the construction works) in construction projects.
Our software (Spider Project) supports Line of balance reports but it is not necessary for the proper planning. Much more necessary to be able to calculate construction schedule taking into account supply constraints.
Greg Stacey
User offline. Last seen 6 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
David,
I think they are asking about how you will incorporate and manage lean principles in the construction process.
I don’t believe this answers your clients query, but some Lean practitioners are approaching construction planning, using a concept of ‘Location based planning’ using the principles of ‘Line of Balance’ planning. This is now being referred to as ‘Work Flow’ construction planning, and controlled using a proprietary programme developed in Finland, instead of the conventional CPM packages. The emphasis is on maintaining continuous work for each trade or part of that trade. Critical path type logic and lean construction principles still apply.
There were papers related to this topic given at the 13th Conference of the International Group for Lean Construction, held in Sydney this year.
Regards,
Greg
I did not meet the term Lean Scheduling.
But Just in time management is usual.
If you build something in a place where there is not enough space for storing materials you will schedule supplies together with the construction works.
Construction work schedule defines the necessary amount of materials at any moment. If there are changes or problems with the supply then PM software shall recalculate the schedule of construction.
For just in time PM you shall include both construction works and supply schedule in one single model.
Regards,
Vladimir
David Andreotti
User offline. Last seen 8 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks Edgar, but LEAN definitely has to do with how you run a project. There’s an organization here in the states called the Lean Institute. Thanks again for trying to help.

Dave
Edgar Ariete
User offline. Last seen 5 years 30 weeks ago. Offline

Hi,

It might be similar to LEAN Concrete (Blinding).Blind....
Bernard Ertl
User offline. Last seen 9 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
I haven’t heard of "Lean Scheduling", but Lean Project Management is a system being promoted by the Lean Construction Institute.

Bernard Ertl
eTaskMaker Project Planning Software