Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Time/Location Diagrams

23 replies [Last post]
Ed van der Tak
User offline. Last seen 12 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Gents,

Does any one have experience with Time/Location Diagrams and related Software Packages?

I very interrested in your experience.

Regards

Ed van der Tak
Aram Planning Consultants
The Netherlands

Replies

Ed van der Tak
Peter,

Im quit interested in new products. So can you give me more info?

Regards,

Ed van der Tak
Manager Operations
The Netherlands
Peter Clarke
User offline. Last seen 20 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Time Location (or Time Chainage or Line of Balance) charts are very good for planning and presenting projects that involve linear, repetitive work such as roads, bridges, pipelines, tunnels etc.
I have produced a software package that produces time chainage charts by inputting location details and progress rates. Starting dates are dictated by logic and constraint dates (like usual bar chart project management software). Holidays are fully accounted for. Actual progress can also be shown with full history kept. The chart can then be formatted, viewed, printed and saved as a graphic file.
Anyone wanting more infor, please contact me.
Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 2 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Hi there!

Can anyone please tell me
where does time-location diagrams came from?

who first use them?
and how?

Thanks

M.Moutinho
manuel.moutinho@transmetro.pt
Izak van Niekerk
User offline. Last seen 8 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
Ed,

Sorry slip of the keyboard, here is the correct link
http://www.ccssa.com/time_location/example.html

Izak
Izak van Niekerk
User offline. Last seen 8 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
Ed,

The CCS (Construction Computer Software) SitePlan package produces Time/Location charts and is used widely around the world. Examples are available at the following link http://www.ccsa.com/time_location/example.html

I would like your comments

Izak
Ed van der Tak
Mohamed,

Yes, there is! Please follow this link Tilos 2.0 English Demo for the answer. The demo is fully usable but limited to 10 activities.
For an english manual just follow Tilos 2.0 Manual for a full manual.

Good luck,

Ed
Mohamed Gebriel
User offline. Last seen 10 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Ed,

Ive checked out the link and seen the examples. They represent different types of projects and some of them look pretty impressive. The use of color coded sections is heavily utilized and in a good way.

One question I couldnt find an answer to thanks to my excel in German Language;), is there an English copy of the software?

David Bordoli
User offline. Last seen 8 years 6 days ago. Offline
Thanks Ed...

Ill check out the link asap.

The lecure is not public Im afraid (or should that be relieved!). Its to the students on the MSc Project Management Course at Loughborough University. They try to get people from industry to come and talk about their discipline and give examples of techniques in practice.

Thanks again

Daid
dbordoli@burofour.co.uk
Ed van der Tak
Guys,

For your interrest, the following link Tilos 2 examples is giving a few examples for the use of TLDs. Did you already understand that this package is a real planning tool? So not just drawing the sign but also creating links and updating progress! Even costs can be planned and recorded/reported.

If german is a problem I can try to get these examples in english (might do this any way).

David the lecture youre giving is this open for the public? and if so were is it?

Next to the "normal" usage of TLDs were looking for using them next to other software packages in known enviroments. For instance piping bridges or EandI cabling etc. Do you have any other ideas?

Could TLDs be a "Forum" topic in the near future?

Keep it going,

Ed

David Bordoli
James...

Im not sure if that is possible (I am rather illiterate when it comes to the web) maybe you should ask one of the development team.

There are two other options; to provide a link to your server and post it on there (I know our IT guys wouldnt allow of that but yours may have a different view) or just post your email and let interested parties contact you if they want a copy.

Regards

David
dbordoli@burofour.co.uk
David,

If I still have the file, it is likely to be in soft-copy format as I was the unlucky individual who had to input the AS, AF and PC data into Artemis and to run the scripts each week to produce it.

We used to generate a "soft" prn file that could be viewed, edited or printed. If I have this, it could be uploaded to the site?

Regards...James
David Bordoli
James

Thanks for the reply... hope something turns up! It seems there may be quite a lot of interest in this. If I get hold of a copy I was going to try to scan it into A3 pieces and convert it to .pdf files for anyone else who would like to see it. Just a thought.

Happy hunting!

David
dbordoli@burofour.co.uk
Hi David,

I think I have a copy of said chart at home.

We used to call it "The Bogroll" - a nasty name because it was as long as a toilet roll.

The chart gave a graphical representation of the channel tunnel outline and had chainages, cross passages and plant rooms etc, indicated on it.

We had the chart interogate an asbuilt database in order to see if each section, or room, had an "actual start" or "actual finish" date present in order to show the completed sections in a different colour to the areas of tunnel that had yet to be constructed.

I will look through my files and get back to you if I find a copy. One of the guys at work here, may also have one - I will investigate!!

Regards...James.
David Bordoli
I have never used this technique but know of it. In fact the best example I have seen was about 10 years ago when the channel tunnel was being built (that’s a rail tunnel between England and France). It was more of a poster/entertaining graphic than a really useful programme but it purported to show the progress across the channel and construction of the termini at each end. I am trying to get hold of a copy for a lecture I am giving in December. If I have any luck Ill attempt to publish it somehow.

Regards

David
dbordoli@burofour.co.uk
Tomas Rivera
User offline. Last seen 5 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Mohamed Gebriel:

I have known this method as Line of Balance. There has been a previous discussion in this forum about this. I wonder whether Time Chainage is just another term for the same thing.

Anyone care to comment why there are several terms for the same method.

Tomas Rivera
Mohamed Gebriel
Dear Tomas,

The main difference is that the LOB is a chart between time and units and usually is used for one unit type.

The vertical axis in the Time/Location diagram actually represents a location meaning that you might have two several crews working in the same time duration along the projects location at different parts. Here you might have several work lines(which also show productivity rate) at the same period but at different locations.
Mohamed Gebriel
A time/location diagram gets its name from its functionality. It is a two axis diagram that serves as a planning and progress control.

One axis shows time normally the horizontal one, while the other vertical axis shows the work. This work is represented in a graphical scaled way, so the length of the vertical axis could show kms of a highway or pipeline, or an area could represent excavation and filling where any line in the chart would represent the amount of work done in a specific period, i.e. productivity.

The chart is good in linear projects where you can adjust excavation and filling crews to finish at similar times and locations or distribute two crews on a highways endings, so as you can see its all about planning productivity and work periods to coordinate different crews or jobs.

Of course the system has its disadvantages such as lacking ease of control and updating, failure o represent even mid sized projects (only works with small projects) and being suitable to some specific types of projects only.

In spite of these disadvantages, these can be eliminated probably by the use of a computerized system.
Tomas Rivera
User offline. Last seen 5 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
I am sure many of us can imagine what is being discussed in this subject. But, to make sure everybody is on the same track, can somebody explain what Time Location and Time Chainage diagrams are and how they work? I mean, just a very brief explanation.

Thanks
Tomas Rivera
Ed van der Tak
Im still wondering why this topic obviously is attracting the most interrest (thanks for adding a view counter!) but has only a few reactions. WHY????

In addition to the term "Time Location Diagrams" I found that "Time Chainage Diagram" is also a known. Does this ring a bell?

Let me know!

Ed van der Tak
The Netherlands
Mohamed Gebriel
Greg and Ed,

The two products u have mentioned seem to be 3D modelling applications with the ability to store and attach engineering/planning information. There is no planned or actual progress graphical representation of the project.

If anyone has seen such a sw, please tell us. A time/location sw should show progress on top of a linear or volumatic presentation of the work. This is why they are used for linear projects only. Highways, distribution or pipelines, excavation and filling activities too.

Up till now, Ive never seen a commercial sw for this, but I did see a simple academic developed tool, which couldnt work on an industry scale.
Ed van der Tak
Dear Greg and Mohamed,

Thanks for your reply and the hyperlink to the Bentley website. As stated by Mohamed these are "3D modelling applications with the ability to store and attach engineering/planning information" and in fact are CAD systems based. Up till this year I had never seen a real scheduling tool based on Time/Location principal.

But ... It exists and is called TILOS 2.0. They also started with version 1 to be a CAD/Drawing like "planning" tool, but now have created a (english) version 2.0 with real scheduling/progress techniques incorporated. The flexibility is enormous (switch axes/incl. drawings/multiple scales etc.).

If youre interrested I can send you more info on this product, but again Im looking for "users" of Time/Location plans (in any package) who are interrested in sharing knowlegde and information, might even be a forum category!

Like to hear from you soon

Regards,

Ed van der Tak
The Netherlands
Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 2 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
We will be checking out the above references, in the mean-time, if anyone thinks there is suficient interest in a category for this, please feel free to let someone here at Planning Planet know.

Regards...The Planning Planet Taam
Greg Stacey
User offline. Last seen 6 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Not sure if this is what you refer to:

Try http://www2.bentley.com check out their products Bentley Dynamic Animator and Bentley Schedule Simulator.

Hope this helps.