Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Time / Locations Charts

6 replies [Last post]
Lee Bennett
User offline. Last seen 16 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Does anybody know what these are?
And does P3e have the capability to produce them?

Replies

Oliver Melling
User offline. Last seen 4 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: The GrapeVine
They probably recovered just after you left!

.......co-incidently
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
HI Adedeji,

I agree with you. Tilos software do have better capability in TIME / Location Charts.

I worked in the rail project. Our company did not buy TILOS software. So, I was not able to experience using TILOS.

Our Contractor did bought TILOS. However, the users were fisrt timer, learning curve. I left the project and I dont know Howe they are doing with TILOS.

Cheers,
Adedeji Adelaja
User offline. Last seen 9 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
If you used Excel, then you were definitely just using displaying information as opposed to actively planning.

For linear projects, the way to go IMHO is TILOS, I have used extensively and found it to be very essential to delivering projects on time with minimal collisions/clashes
Time-Location Charts (Linear Diagrams) are one of the standard project schedule presentations in Spider Project. Like Gantt Chart, Resource Gantt Chart, Network Diagram.
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Time Location Charts gone also be generated using EXCEL.

I know because I used excel in generating Time/Location charts during my involvement in Rail Projects.

Cheers,
Sensei
Successful Project Management Consultant
Oliver Melling
User offline. Last seen 4 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: The GrapeVine
Lee,

’The Time Location Chart originates from a project management system known as Line of Balance or Elemental Trend Analysis, which is used on projects which are repetitive and require strict trade sequencing, i.e. factory production lines, housing estate construction, etc.

The chart highlights the importance of activity completion, production rates and relationships between selective activities, and thus, has been developed by the Construction Industry for use on linear projects such as roads, tunnels and pipelines.

On these linear projects the location element is usually expressed in terms of chainage or metreage and hence the term Time Chainage or Time Metreage is also applied to these charts.’

A software package called TILOS is a time-location planning tool.

I don’t think P3e has the ability to produce such reports.