Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Arc GIS

7 replies [Last post]
Robert Foedisch
User offline. Last seen 12 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Does any one know if there a demand for project planners with certification in Arc GIS?

Replies

Oliver Melling
User offline. Last seen 4 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: The GrapeVine
Robert,

My company uses GIS software to form mobile solutions for waste collection, motorway maintenance, pipeline repairs etc. But this is used by software developers as part of a technical solution.

I can’t see when a planner would ever use GIS. As already mentioned, TILOS is suitable for the planning of repetative works, such as rail, highway and pipiline projects.

AutoCAD is more the realm of engineers and i cant see the need for planning staff to get certificated in its use.

HTH
Will Masson
User offline. Last seen 5 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
HI All

I have used Arc GIS on a highways project in the UK. It was benificial to see which road treatments where being applied in which year.

I’m a controls manager for a Global consultancy which is involved in Pipelines / cable laying / highways / OHL / rail these are all projects that would use Arc GIS or Tilos from asta developments.

If I saw someone with this skill on the CV they would be on the shortlist.

Best regards
Will
Robert Foedisch
Dieter and Chris,
I suspect that you are probaly correct in your assessments regarding a GIS Certification within your companies. I think this certification would probably be better suited for government work such as forrestry or disaster preparation. are either of you familiar with the program called Maximo or another called Auto CAD?
Chris Oggham
User offline. Last seen 9 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Dieter,

I agree with you. We do use GIS for some of the work we do, but with a lot of the work we do geographic considerations are out of our control. The software we use some is from Ordnance Survey and we have other software from STEMgis.

I don’t use the software myself (there are a lot of things I’m not allowed to play with now) but like you, I don’t believe a certificate would be any advantage. Certainly not from ESRI as we don’t use their product.

Chris Oggham
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 6 days ago. Offline
Robert
I just had a glance at the page you mentioned. Some interesting aspects of that software, e.g. for pipeline projects or (power-)plants. But I don’t believe that one of those certificates would be a plus for a candidate who applies for a job in the company I’m working for.
Good luck!
Dieter
Robert Foedisch
Dieter,
I will try to explain as best I can. Arc GIS is one of several computerized mapping products that was developed by Educational,Scientific Research Institute (ESRI) they can be found at www.esri.com The mapping products they produce can be used for many scientific and business purposes. For example site selection for a factory. Many local governments here and in europe are providing their data for census and building sizes and shapes in geospatial form.
Many universities work in concert with esri to provide 9 month certification courses. The one I am enrolled in here at the University of Washing is nine months long and cost 3500 USD.
I hope this helps. please feel free to contact me at any time if I can help you any more
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 6 days ago. Offline
Robert

I’m very sorry. Can you explain this certification please.
Thanks.

Dieter