Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Resource / Cost Loading Questions

3 replies [Last post]
Brian Walkin
User offline. Last seen 18 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello I have two issues:

1. When exporting an Excel to add resources and costs - I need to add add multiple resources or cost values for one activity - I cant get a worksheet that gives me a row per resource. Is this possible?

2. Where I have resources e.g. say Install Concrete has Units 100, if actual units are 45 (45% complete); then why wouldn't remaining units be 55? How is this supposed to calculate. 

Thanks

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

glad I could help

Brian Walkin
User offline. Last seen 18 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Hello Zoltan,

Thanks for your detailed reply.

I can now export and import resources with one or more resources per activity.

As for the progress update and units, I think I was confusing duration and physical progress and when they are the same and when they are different. All good now I think I have it.

Brain,

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

1. filter for the activities that you want to add resources to 

then highlight them all and rigth click and select assign and assign a resource to them

next export the activities and resources and add any additional resources here

2. its your resource has ot be setup to auto compute actuals

go to your resource directory and for the resources that you are using lick on the details tab and make sure that Auto compute actuls is checked.

next go toyour Projects directory make sure that your project is open and highlighted

next to to the calculations tab and make sure that under Resource assignments that When updating actual units or cost that the Subtract actuals from actual at completion  is checked.

also make sure that Recalculate Actual units and cost when duration % complete changes

3. if you plan to add the SAME RESOURCE to an activity MORE than ONCE in the Projects directory go to the Resources tab and under Resource Assignments make sure that Resources can be assigned to the same avtibity more than once is checked.

4. if your are using physcial % complete to progress your schedule you MUST run a global change so that the Duration % complete eqauls the physcial % complete because ATUO computing ACTULAS is derived from DURATION % COMPLETE as stated above.

5. To add a global change go to

tools

global change

add

where physcial % complete is grether than 0 

then duration % complete = Physcial % complete

then on the right select change

then on the bottom select Commit Changes

DONE