Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Duration % Complete And Fixed Units & Duration (Guidance Required)

2 replies [Last post]
abubakar munir
User offline. Last seen 2 years 3 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Professionals, (I want everybody input please)

My Question Is Very Simple But, I Have A Confusion Please Help Me Out In It.

Because Of It I Destroyed My Approved Baseline Programmed.

Given Below Settings I Mostly Used in P6.

Duration Type = Fixed Duration & Units.
% Complete = Duration % Complete Type. 

1)    Please Guide Me First In The Very Beginning When I Add A New Project In The Project Window For The Preparation Of Baseline Of Any Project Which Settings I Have To Adopt Compatible With (Duration % Complete Type & Fixed Duration & Units).

For Example:

In Project Window For

Calculation Tab= Which Settings I Have To Adopt……….? Compatible With (Duration % Complete Type & Fixed Duration & Units).

Default Tab= Which Settings I Have To Adopt……….? Compatible With (Duration % Complete Type & Fixed Duration & Units), Etc…………..

2)    Which Settings I Have To Keep In Mind When I Go In The Activity Window Of Any Project Compatible With (Duration % Complete Type & Fixed Duration & Units).

For Example:

In Activity Window For

Resource Tab= Which Settings I Have To Adopt Regarding Labor Resource……….? Compatible With (Duration % Complete Type & Fixed Duration & Units).

3)    Which Settings I Have To Keep In Mind When I Go In The Resource Window Compatible With (Duration % Complete Type & Fixed Duration & Units).

For Example:

In Resource Window For

Default Tab= Which Settings I Have To Adopt……….? Compatible With (Duration % Complete Type & Fixed Duration & Units), Etc…………..

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 17 hours 21 min ago. Offline
Groups: None

1. Unless you do not want to have your manhour determine your durations use fixed durations and units/ per time

if you want to use earned value you have to use physical % complete or you can use duration % complete then after every update run a global change where physical % complete is greater than 0

then duration % complete = physical % complete 

2.same as answer #1

3. same as answer #1

David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 19 hours 45 min ago. Offline

Abubaker,

Gosh, I could write a book answering your questions!

Firstly, another question. What do you want to do with expended/timesheet/actual hours?  For example you estimate a job as 100 budgeted labour hours. You are 50% duration % complete. BUT you have booked 100 actual labour hours to do half of the job. Do you want to record those actual hours in P6, so that we can see a CPI of .50?