Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Duration % Complete And Fixed Units & Duration (Guidance Required)

2 replies [Last post]
abubakar munir
User offline. Last seen 5 years 40 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Professionals, (I want everybody input please)

My Question Is Very Simple But, I Have A Confusion Please Help Me Out In It.

Because Of It I Destroyed My Approved Baseline Programmed.

Given Below Settings I Mostly Used in P6.

Duration Type = Fixed Duration & Units.
% Complete = Duration % Complete Type. 

1)    Please Guide Me First In The Very Beginning When I Add A New Project In The Project Window For The Preparation Of Baseline Of Any Project Which Settings I Have To Adopt Compatible With (Duration % Complete Type & Fixed Duration & Units).

For Example:

In Project Window For

Calculation Tab= Which Settings I Have To Adopt……….? Compatible With (Duration % Complete Type & Fixed Duration & Units).

Default Tab= Which Settings I Have To Adopt……….? Compatible With (Duration % Complete Type & Fixed Duration & Units), Etc…………..

2)    Which Settings I Have To Keep In Mind When I Go In The Activity Window Of Any Project Compatible With (Duration % Complete Type & Fixed Duration & Units).

For Example:

In Activity Window For

Resource Tab= Which Settings I Have To Adopt Regarding Labor Resource……….? Compatible With (Duration % Complete Type & Fixed Duration & Units).

3)    Which Settings I Have To Keep In Mind When I Go In The Resource Window Compatible With (Duration % Complete Type & Fixed Duration & Units).

For Example:

In Resource Window For

Default Tab= Which Settings I Have To Adopt……….? Compatible With (Duration % Complete Type & Fixed Duration & Units), Etc…………..

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

1. Unless you do not want to have your manhour determine your durations use fixed durations and units/ per time

if you want to use earned value you have to use physical % complete or you can use duration % complete then after every update run a global change where physical % complete is greater than 0

then duration % complete = physical % complete 

2.same as answer #1

3. same as answer #1

David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 1 year 38 weeks ago. Offline

Abubaker,

Gosh, I could write a book answering your questions!

Firstly, another question. What do you want to do with expended/timesheet/actual hours?  For example you estimate a job as 100 budgeted labour hours. You are 50% duration % complete. BUT you have booked 100 actual labour hours to do half of the job. Do you want to record those actual hours in P6, so that we can see a CPI of .50?