Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Duration % complete vs Physical % complete , how common is Physical % complete?

5 replies [Last post]
John Reeves
User offline. Last seen 1 week 16 hours ago. Offline
Groups: None

Duration % complete vs Physical % complete , how common is Physical % complete usage? 

I don't think I have ever used physical % complete.  How common is it on construction projects?  I would guess it is used only 20% of construction projects.  I have been in AEC for 30 years and worked for 25 companies on hundreds of projects and I don't recall seeing it much.  Probably because there are enough issues without adding that manual activity.  If I was going to use it, or if the the types are mixed I would want the type noted or/and the duration % complete also noted for reference.  I could see physical % complete used more to hide negative float by uner-estimating remaining duration.  It is now more common to have to match the schedule of values and the schedule exactly.  For that reason, it looks like I will likely have to use it at least on some activities.  How common is it to have to match the SOV exacty, it seams like in theory should be easy but in practice it is rarely done as well.  What is your opinion?

Replies

John Reeves
User offline. Last seen 1 week 16 hours ago. Offline

I greatly appreciate the response.  I see your industry is Petro Chem.  I have worked on those types of projects and have worked on turn-arounds.  I have also done earned value work.  In this case, we are talking about a large commercial project.  In this type of project there is a heavy mix of time based durations.  For example, design activities technically could be physical % but the hassle is not worth the work on most of these actitivies.  It creates twice as many ways for PMs to be wrong.  Or I could calc the dur % and fill it in the physical % columns.  I think it comes down to mathmatically how many activities you can update in the time you have and how much input you get from your team on those activities.  Oil and Refinery work is more of a buttoned down systematic approach making that more possible.  Commercial construction is a little more wild with more variables.  There is more churn, faster churn making physical % complete more trouble than its worth.  I think most PMs would work backwards to fill in the phs % complete and remaining duration.  If they don't don't have to match it - you need justification or proof in 2 ways not just one.  I understand why they want this done.  In theory, its ok, in practice its not.  That is just one schedulers opinion - in the end it comes down to how much time you have, and that always seems to be a tight. I used earned value on convernment jobs where the durations were long, most commercial specs down allow activiities over 15 days which makes phys % complete less valuable also.

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

you can track physical % complete which is what EVMS uses and you cand use the physical % complete to uppdate the duration % complete by running a global change

global change

where physical % complete is greather than 0 

then duration % complete = physcial % complete

Muhammad Ammar
User offline. Last seen 4 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Qatar

Dear John,

I have covered the topic here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K635hrGDJ0Q

David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 1 year 38 weeks ago. Offline
I tried to make a bullet point list in my comment where Remaining Duration, Reamaing effort, and Earned value were on separate lines. Planning Planett has the most incomprehensible comment writing software in the known universe,
David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 1 year 38 weeks ago. Offline
Gosh, John, Most of my cients use Physical % complete. If you want to monitor: Remaining duration Remaining effort, Earned Value, Independently, you have no choice, you must use Physical % complete. Duration % complete is (IMNVHO) for lazy asset owners, who don't want to look to closely at what is going on in the project, and probably do not record Actual Hours Expended to analyse productivity.