Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Physical % Complete vs. Duration % Complete

5 replies [Last post]
Nickie Lau
User offline. Last seen 5 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Malaysia, TILOS
Dear All,

I have just been handed a project that is already half way through, but work programme is in such a manner that updating is a nightmare.

Is it true that once we start to monitor the physical % complete, it is not possible to have the programme calculate the remaining duration without updating the duration % complete?

I appreciate any kind of suggestion. Thanks in advance.

Replies

Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 14 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

You are correct, Mohd.

This is a deliberate feature of the physical % complete functionality, and is in my view best planning practise.

Mohd Syahrul
User offline. Last seen 7 years 25 weeks ago. Offline

I think if physical % complete, the remaining duration should be updated manually.

moutaz aldeib
User offline. Last seen 11 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

Dear Planners,

I tried to use the physical % but the remaining duration is calculated wrongly. You have to update the remaining duration which is not logic and realistic.

Regards,

Moutaz

R. Catalan
User offline. Last seen 7 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Nickie,

Yes, physical % complete in P6 is like the "link/unlink remaining duration and schedule percent complete" autocost rules option in P3.

If you’re allowed to change percent complete type to "duration % complete" then you can do it easily by using the Global Change option in P6.

Best regards,

R. Catalan

Anu Tor
User offline. Last seen 8 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
It is upto the meausement progress of your project.
If you use physical% complete that shall be calculated by progress measurement step/milestone or actual work BQ, and remaining duration is calculated by remaining BQ and current productivities rate. I think, this method is realistic than update progress by duration% complete.