Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Physical % Complete vs. Duration % Complete

5 replies [Last post]
Nickie Lau
User offline. Last seen 9 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Malaysia, TILOS
Dear All,

I have just been handed a project that is already half way through, but work programme is in such a manner that updating is a nightmare.

Is it true that once we start to monitor the physical % complete, it is not possible to have the programme calculate the remaining duration without updating the duration % complete?

I appreciate any kind of suggestion. Thanks in advance.

Replies

Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 4 years 46 weeks ago. Offline

You are correct, Mohd.

This is a deliberate feature of the physical % complete functionality, and is in my view best planning practise.

Mohd Syahrul
User offline. Last seen 12 years 5 weeks ago. Offline

I think if physical % complete, the remaining duration should be updated manually.

moutaz aldeib
User offline. Last seen 2 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Dear Planners,

I tried to use the physical % but the remaining duration is calculated wrongly. You have to update the remaining duration which is not logic and realistic.

Regards,

Moutaz

R. Catalan
User offline. Last seen 12 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Nickie,

Yes, physical % complete in P6 is like the "link/unlink remaining duration and schedule percent complete" autocost rules option in P3.

If you’re allowed to change percent complete type to "duration % complete" then you can do it easily by using the Global Change option in P6.

Best regards,

R. Catalan

Anu Tor
User offline. Last seen 13 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
It is upto the meausement progress of your project.
If you use physical% complete that shall be calculated by progress measurement step/milestone or actual work BQ, and remaining duration is calculated by remaining BQ and current productivities rate. I think, this method is realistic than update progress by duration% complete.