Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

"Planned" vs. "At completion" duration

3 replies [Last post]
Nozar Naghani
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Groups: None
Guys,
In admin preferences (referred as well in reference manual: Baselining), there are two choices for calculating Baseline finish dates:
1- BL start + Planned duration.
2- BL start + At completion duration.

Although the title of these options is earned value, but as per reference manual it seems that this calculation is the general formula that P3e uses for BL finish date calculation.

Question:
A- Does that mean that when we baseline a project, BL finish date is not copied from current project? Does p3e recalculates it? Why doesnt simply copy it (as we expect the baseline to be an exact copy of what we see at the time of baselining)?

B- What is the reason of such option? How we may benefit and in what scenario we may choose the 2nd choice (BL start + At completion Duration)?

Have fun

Nozar

Replies

Bill McMichael
User offline. Last seen 12 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
When you make a copy or baseline of the project, it is a full copy.

The Earned value option to use budgeted or At completion values determines whether the earned value and BL calculations use either at completion or budgeted values. If your baseline does not have progress, the values would be identical.

Regards,
Bill
Puneet Gupta
User offline. Last seen 10 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
I think under Admin preferences Primavera is not talking about baseline finish dates. they are talking about Earned value only,
But lets look the problem in your way..
Say you first made the base line and start monitoring th e progress, then you changed the remaining duration of activities and now you want this current project as a baseline so that you can compare your new current project with this olde current project.

I hope you are not confused....anyways use it only for earned value
Henk van der Heide
User offline. Last seen 6 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Nozar,

I think normaly you make a baseline before progressing the schedule in that situation Duration at completion should be equal to original duration. however once you have put some progres in it there’s the posibility for variance. I think the best way of making a baseline from a progressed schedule is setting duration at completion equal to original duration for the baseline so you dont make mistakes with that.
I think somethimes al the posibilities in P3e could be to much.

Regards

Henk