Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Duration/Physical % Complete And Earned Value ?

3 replies [Last post]
Tom Johnstone
User offline. Last seen 11 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Currently working on a project where existing staff use Duration % Complete for progress updates whereas I have always used Physical % Complete. For calculating Earned Value what is the preferred % complete type to use - What are the pro’s and cons of using both types ? A point in the right direction would be appreciated. Thanks TJ

Replies

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 5 hours 59 min ago. Offline
Tom,
You are correct, sponsored by the Australian company is the best way because now a days you will find from agency advertisement that only with Australian valid working visa can apply. Immigrations been tighten due to financial crisis and local candidate become the priority unless company apply demands on the shortage of skills required. When proven, the immigrations will allow the company to recruit foreign candidate.
Tom Johnstone
User offline. Last seen 11 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Thanks for your help Rodel. On another subject - what agencies employ Planning Engineers out in Australia - looking for a few years employment in Sydney, Melbourne , Perth etc - and from what I hear the best way is to get an Australian company to sponsor me,

Thanks again,

Tom
Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 5 hours 59 min ago. Offline
Tom,
You will find a lot of discussion here regarding that query. In my own experience both of them are very useful depends on what type of task it is and more often in a schedule combination of both are used. For fixed duration and task driven activities or any task measurable by time duration % complete type is recommended (i.e. Design, Management, Engineering etc...). For task measurable by physical effort, weighted percentage and mostly construction activities then physical % complete is more appropriate.

Example:
Production Step

On the above example if you use duration as percent complete type you will have 72% which is not reflecting the correct Physical effort of activities.

Another classic example is when you use duration % complete and progress but delay and having a remaining duration more than original duration then your progress will go back to zero which is not correct.

Hope this help.