Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Global change - relationships: not working

8 replies [Last post]
Dennis Hanks
User offline. Last seen 8 years 2 weeks ago. Offline

I am trying to change all the FF and SS relationships to FS via global change import/export to no avail.  Any suggestions?  Using P6 8.3 and Excel 2010.

Replies

Arnold Puy
User offline. Last seen 9 years 12 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Dennis,

You can do it in Excel using Import/Export (Spreadsheet- XLS).

ffss1.png

ssff.png

ssff2.png

ssff3.png

Cheers,

Arnold

Dennis Hanks

PowerPivot (Excel) showed great promise, but no cigar.  Same with table linkage with Access.  So the only viable option for P6 8.1+ users is to copy the offending rows, paste those rows, delete the original offending rows (add the 'd') and change the copied rows the way that you want.  Not as easy as it should be, but it works.  While waiting for Oracle Support, I just deleted all FF and SS relationships.  No harm no foul (in this case).  Backups are cheap insurance against stupidity.

Dennis Hanks

All:

The current workaround provided by Oracle Support is not altogether satisfactory - cut and paste rows.  I am exploring using Excel PowerPivot to directly access the sqlexpress database.  Does anyone know where I can find the file that lists the various tables and the data contained therein?  I have seen it before, but right now it alludes me.  Thanks.

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 1 day 2 hours ago. Offline

If for some reason the SDK option does not works for you;

Another option might be Logic League, especially if you expect to continue using P6.  Of course, this is at extra cost and you must verify compatibility with your version of P6 and what when newer versions arrive.  It is better when the software gives you direct access to the links table as a few others do.

http://www.scheduleanalyzer.com/ll_brochure.htm

Another option to explore if you have Primavera Risk is to check if there you have access to the links table as it being so expensive I suppose it must give access to the links table, then make the changes in Primavera Risk and import the job back into P6.

Do not forget about lag values, that will usually 0 on FS links, here another global change on the links table would help if you have access to the table. The change might be drastic depending on the model so in order to meet deadlines some duration chages and activity splitting might be needed as to recover some of the overlapping. Just a reminder as I believe you are aware of these details. 

Good luck,

Rafael

Dennis Hanks

Raymond:

Just went to the Oracle Support site.  It appears that SDK Dictionary is not available to P6 8.1+ users.  Sounds like it is time for a service request. 

BTW: Checked and SDK is installed and in Excel is in a non-() folder.

Thanks for the suggestions.  This should be straightforward and nothing to do with 64 bit Excel or P6.

Note:  I was right the first time, this is a P6 8.3 (PRA is 8.7).  Service request submitted.  Will let you know results.

Raymund de Laza
User offline. Last seen 32 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

Dennis,

It works on 64 Bits but I got information that it may needs some latest Service Packs for P6. I don't exactly how does the IT do it.

I am using 64 Bit but P6 6.1 and was able to see a friends P6 8.1 working with the Execl through SDK.

Have the help of your IT personnels.

Dennis Hanks

Raymund:

Thanks but SDK does not work with 64 bit systems (Excel), or I have not been able to make it work - suggestions there would be appreciated.

Note: I am using P6 8.7 not 8.3.

Raymund de Laza
User offline. Last seen 32 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

Dennis,

Use the Excel File associated with the SDK.