Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Changing project start date in MS Project 2010

9 replies [Last post]
Kris Harry
User offline. Last seen 12 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi guys,

Can anyone let me know if changing start date, in MS Project 2010, will reschedule the project as per new start date

Kris

Replies

Kris Harry

Hi Ismet, LH ,

Thanks a lot for response. I selected all the tasks - changed the date of 1st activity of project - then clicked Link task icon in schedule group - and it worked. I wonder what does the Move Project icon do then !

Kris

Lord Horn
User offline. Last seen 5 years 2 weeks ago. Offline

Hello,

Please note that BY DEFAULT, Microsoft Project 2010 now schedules MANUALLY --- this is different from its behaviour upto 2007, wherein it was AUTOMATIC. Most new planners (new to 2010, not planning) are generally not aware of this, or choose to ignore the message that says you are in manual mode.

When you are in manual mode, ALL your tasks are created manually. Changing a start date, in this case, DOES NOTHING.

What you need to do is:

1. Press Ctrl - A (when in your task) OR click on the TASK NAME heading to select ALL tasks

2. Select Automatic as scheduling method.

3. THEN change the start date.

Project 2010 will now RE-CALCULATE it from the start.

Note that if you have LINKS and CONSTRAINTS, those tasks may turn up wonky. But like someone below mentioned, if you have a CLEAN COPY (namely, only tasks, when they start and how long they are --- minus the links and constraints --- and you SHOULD always have a backup that way), then you should not face any issues.

Hope this helps.

Thanks and Regards,

L H

Ismet Kocaman
User offline. Last seen 8 years 27 weeks ago. Offline

Hello Kris,

I cannot think of any other reason why "Move Project" did not work. Pls check this link for "Move Project" info: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/project/archive/2011/01/17/handling-changes-to-the-project-start-date.aspx

Maybe external dependencies ?

Ismet

Kris Harry

Hi Ismet,

I have not put any actual dates yet. The schedule is not updated - only start date is changed.

Kris

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 12 hours 1 min ago. Offline

If the person who gave you a copy of the progressed file cannot give you a copy of the original un-statused file, fire him.

Even in grammar school kids learn the importance of backing up files.

Make the habit of backing up every update on a separate file, avoid falling in the trap your friend did. This would have saved you 90% of the nuisance.

Ismet Kocaman

That's probably because of the actuals in your schedule. It is required to remove all the actuals before running "Move Project".

--Ismet

Kris Harry

Hi Ismet,

Thanks for your response. I tried 'Move Project' command from ribbon - but it did not move the project to new start date. In the Project Information dialog box it continues to show the new start date!

Kris

Ismet Kocaman

Hello Kris,

As Mike commented, changing start date will not work if you have deadlines and contraints in your schedule. Instead, try "Move Project" macro under the Project tab of the ribbon. It was Adjust Dates macro in Project 2007 version, but it is now a built-in function.

Best Regards,

Ismet

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Hi Kris

If your logic is valid and there are no constraints then Yes.

Otherwise No.

Best regards

Mike Testro