Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

How to create statis baseline start and finish date columns that won't change

1 reply [Last post]
Ross Jackson
User offline. Last seen 12 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi

I have a plan which has actual start and finish date columns based on predecessors and successors. Since a project may run for a few years I wanted to add baseline start and finish date columns so user can easily spot delays, shifts in timing. This should be easy, but haven't worked out how to do it. I tried just copy paste the actuals into the baseline columns. However they are then linked to the predecessors and successors and change along with the actuals. Is there a way just to copy the values as static dates, or a better way to do this? Please note I'm relatively new to project and couldn't find solution in online help/books.

Many thanks, Ross

Replies

Jaimin Shah
User offline. Last seen 11 years 3 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

The standard practice is to save baseline after your schedule is perfect, before puting any actual.

Then u can update actuals and monitor the difference between plan v/s actual.

After the completion of project upto some %ge, u fill that there are noticable changes, which need to be edited in plan itself (like addition of scope or like modification / revision / rework), than you can copy paste actuals as baseline2 with neccessory additions.

Save baseline2 and than again start putting actuals. Monitor plan v/s actuals again...