Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

How to create statis baseline start and finish date columns that won't change

8 replies [Last post]
Ross Jackson
User offline. Last seen 12 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi, I have a plan which has actual start and finish date columns based on predecessors and successors. Since a project may run for a few years I wanted to add baseline and finish date columns so user can easily spot delays, shifts in timing. This shows easy, but haven't worked out how to do it. I tried just copy paste the actuals into the baseline columns. However they are then linked to the predecessors and successors and change along with the actuals. Is there a way just to copy the values as static dates, or a better way to do this? Please note I'm relatively new to project and couldn't find solution in online help/books.

Many thanks, Ross

Replies

Ellen Lehnert, Mi...
User offline. Last seen 5 years 44 weeks ago. Offline

I agree with many of the other postings, most of your problem is the lack of understanding of how MS Project thinks and functions. 

1. The baseline is a copy of the original schedule.  You can see a comparison of the baseline v running schedule using the Tracking Gantt.  Once a baseline is set it is usually not changed unless there has been a change to project scope or the client agrees to the change.  Update baseline by task as needed.
  2. Enter actual values using either the tracking table, the work table, task usage, or resource usage.
  3. Set a status date Project --> project information (the work will re-schedule the day after this date)
  4. Re-schedule tasks based on the status date  Tools --> tracking -- Update Project
  5. View the differences (variance) on the Detail Gantt view.   This will show the differences (slippage) between planned schedule (baseline) and updated schedule as a result of the work that been accomplished. 

All versions of MSP work this way. 

Consider attending a high level MS Project class.  It will cut down on your learning curve and allow you to understand how MS Project works.  It is not an easy product to learn without help.

Ellen Lehnert, MS Project MVP, PMP

www.lehnertcs.com

Raymund de Laza
User offline. Last seen 27 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

Hi,

Copy the data into a User Defined Field (UDF)

Hope this will help.

Mohamed Youniss
User offline. Last seen 12 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Qatar

Dear Ross,

First, you have to put into consideration that the base line it self should not be updated. In that case, you have to creat a copy of the base line to start updating the same. in the updated schedule, you have the option in the primavera to maintain and assign a base line for this updated schedule, as an option in the primavera. after assigning the original base line as a base line for your current schedule you can then present the base line completely with your current schedule without any change, also as an option in the primavera, you can present a new column showing your original dates for the assigned base line (early and late dates..... as required).

Regards,

M. Youniss

Mohd Shahimi Yang...
User offline. Last seen 11 years 21 hours ago. Offline

Dear Ross,

If you have set the baseline(see advised from Donald). Then you must insert actual start and actual finish column for updating purpose. By doing this (do in tracking view so that you can see actual bar and baseline bar), you will find that when you manually change the date in the actual start/finish column, that date in the start/finish column(the baseline) will not changed.

Rgds.

Vijay Anbumani
User offline. Last seen 7 years 30 weeks ago. Offline

Hi, Planners

i am new to Planning planet and i like to share my wish for the topic of changing the Base line activity duration without changing the finish date is to find the Floats in the Baseline which may be changed without affecting the Baseline of  project.

Regards & Best wishes,

Vijay anbumani

mukunda y
User offline. Last seen 10 years 28 weeks ago. Offline

Dear, Roos

I think u have to understand, the baseline Columns, start & finish columns, Actual dates column,,, if u understand it s easy to work,...

John Greer
User offline. Last seen 12 years 12 weeks ago. Offline

Ross,  i agree with Donald that you should just save a baseline in MS Project.  I have experience in 2010 and earlier versions and the tool doesn't change the baseline unless you personally update the baseline.  if others have access to the file you may want to save a master copy just to be safe.

Donald Harrold
User offline. Last seen 11 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Ross, depends on the version that you are using. On the versions up to 2007 follow the menu Tools > Tracking > Set Baseline. Your understanding of planning and MS Project seems quite basic? I suggest that you get one of Paul Harris's excellent books on planning with MS Project (available on Amazon). That should get you of to a pretty good start with planning concepts and using MS Project.