Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Member Network Viewing Tool

13 replies [Last post]
Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 2 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
If you have any comments or suggestions on how to improve this new Member Network Tool please drop down your comments.

The Planning Planet Team.

Replies

Forum Guest
Hello PPers,

We have added a small Email icon next to each members name. This will allow all of us to send a private email to that member.

By sending the message in this manner we ensure that our email addresses remain private until we wish to send a reply back to the sender, and thus show our email address.

Hope it improves things.
Bernard Ertl
User offline. Last seen 9 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
[quote]We are looking at various ways of sending a private message within PP, or to provide a simple chat room for online PPers.[/quote]

Most forum software handle private messages as normal forum posts, but in private forum categories where only one member has access to view. You should be able to do something similar here using the existing forum script.

Bernard Ertl
InterPlan Systems Inc. - Project Management Software, Project Planning Software
Forum Guest
Hi there,

We will try to address some of your statemnts...

The purpose of the viewing tool was originally suggested in order to show various professional and personal aquantances so that one member can see how he/she fits into the overall PP network. In some instances it is quite interesting to see who your friends know (i.e. their contacts) and you find that you can often be introduced to your fiends, friends who are located in wildly different places to yourself, and or have useful skill sets. I know of at least 20 or so of the PP team who have been recommnded for a job by using this concept. i.e. one PPer asked one of his contacts to speak to one of their contacts who in turn was employed by the company that the PPer was hoping to be employed by. The best recommendation for a job?!

When you make a "contact" within the PP network it does create a private email to the member who you are "contacting". It was intended that a PPer would only be making a "contact" with someone they knew. Perhaps we need a "help" message to explain this concept? Or is the concept wrong?

We were trying to get the network to show on screen in the form of a network plot. To date, this has been in the "too difficult basket".

We are looking at various ways of sending a private message within PP, or to provide a simple chat room for online PPers.

The problem is that there are so many great requests coming in that it is difficult to prioritise them and find the time to please everyone all of the time.

I hope that some of this helps.

If anyone has any specific ideas on how to imprive the overall concept and presentation of the PPers "contacts" issue, we would be please to see them (on a NEW topic)

Keep on Planning.
MK TSE
User offline. Last seen 3 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
I like the network viewing tool but I wonder the purpose of it. Just share what experienced.
1. When adding someone on the network, I don’t know an email will be sent to the invited. So before make up my mind, the selection is on and off. How many emails are sent? I never know until a complaint from him.
2. Since some register names may be the person I know, I want him be on a special list for further vertification, but no such area for bookmark. I give up, not select anyone if hestitate.
3. When viewing my network, to be honest, I dont know what useful information can be collected. Since the whole network cannot print out like a logic diagram for detail study, I’m not interest on it. I wonder the others.
4. Since I have establish my network to those I know, every time login PP, the first thing is to check whos the new member, I don’t want to miss the one I know.
5. Even the user on my contact is login to PP, what can I don’t , chat on PP?
Bernard Ertl
User offline. Last seen 9 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
As I have mentioned in other threads, I would like to see a system similar to the one employed by Eng-Tips.com where members can vote forum posts as useful or "expert information" and some ratings can be derived to credit members who contribute useful posts.

Bernard Ertl
InterPlan Systems Inc. - Project Management Software, Project Planning Software
Mehdi Rashidi Ala...
User offline. Last seen 5 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,
Add a public chat room in the network member tools.

Arshad Jamil
User offline. Last seen 11 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
it is nice,anybody are welcome to contact and discuss regarding Planning
Forum Guest
Hi John,

Good point, the job-skill ratings are a little subjective, but we have found that the vast majority of people (like yourself) have made an effort to represent their skills and also aknowledged their shortcomings.

Do you have any advice or ideas to offer on this?
John Ditinyak
User offline. Last seen 5 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
The ratings are subject and everyone will be an "expert" in all fields. It lacks quantative analysis.
Forum Guest
Hi,

Good idea. Well edit the code to make it only allow you to start at the current logged-in member and to be able to traverse through the immediate predecessors and successors.
What do you think, please place your VOTE

Good idea.

Regards.
Forum Guest
Hello,

I must admit that we had not considered this issue. Do you think we should limit it to the current logged-in member only, or perhaps only to actual members ?

The idea was to show how we were all linked together. It may not work if some people wish to opt-out of this. Perhaps I should get James to place a "vote" flag on it to ask for members opinions as to wether or not it should be available to everyone ?

What do you think ?

Thanks
John.
Ed van der Tak
User offline. Last seen 12 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Hi Gents,

Nice tool, but .... Did you realize that you are able to review the contacts of all other members on PP? I could imagine that not everybody likes to spread his relationships/contacts around. Could you please limit this feature to a certain degree?
Ed van der Tak
User offline. Last seen 12 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Hoi (dutch for Hi),

One of the possibilities is to prevent members to review the "network" of people who are not on their own contact list. In this case you could limit and control the number of people who can review your "network". So basicly your own virtual network through the line of contact members. Wasnt this the original idea?

Succes (same in dutch),

Ed