Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Line of Balance

4 replies [Last post]
Dean Grimes
User offline. Last seen 7 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi all I am seeing more and more people wanting a line of balance set up as a spreadsheet, with each plot (housing project) down the left side and each activity along the top with the duration of each task identified, and then in each meeting cell a date of when the activity is to start. If the activity starts on time it goes green and if it starts late it goes red. Is there anyway of running a report from Asta to avoid having to manually transfer the info to excel? Thanks in advance

Replies

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Hi Dean I guess that you are working on version 14+ Asta have changed all tutorials to the on line knowledge base. http://support.elecosoft.com/index.php If you have a full support licence the link will tell you everything. Best regards Mike Testro

Hi Dean,

I do not understand your requirement.

Line of Balance means that the diagram shows what activity shall be done at what place and at what time.

You wrote about a housing project and suggest to show at the left (Y axis) the houses and time scale as X axis. Do I understand you right? It looks like the Gantt Chart and not Time-Location.

Please clarify.

Best Regards,

Vladimir

Dean Grimes
User offline. Last seen 7 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi Mike Many thanks for taking time to respond. A couple more questions......if you mind? You make ref to a tutorial, I can't seem to find this, could you please guide me to this? Also, you make ref to a new view, is this shown in the guide? Many thanks in advance for your assistance
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Hi Dean

Yes it is reletively simple to set up a line of balance view straight from the bar chart.

It works as a time - distance chart similar to Tilos.

It works on the Bar reference and the Task reference for each plot number.

Place each task on the same linear Plot Number bar and label accordingly.

This is all explained in the tutorial section.

You will find it very useful for linear projects.

One tip - Once you have set up a typical plot number copy and paste for all of them and then use the cross plot link system to set up all the links in one tap.

Best regards

Mike Testro