Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Progress line on multiple tasks on same line

3 replies [Last post]
Mark McErlean
User offline. Last seen 8 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi,

My firm uses a finishes programme for student accomodation, it goes 1st side stud & board, 1st fix M&E, 2nd side board etc. All of these tasks are on one line i.e. room 1. My problem rises when we have for example 90% 1st side board complete but at the same time may have 50% M&E complete also. I am unable to show progress on the second bar (the M&E) as we have not yet finished the 1 side stud & board.

Is there a way to show multiple progress lines easily (without overrowding the programme) or tell ASTA to show only the furthest date progressed?

Thanks

Replies

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Hi Mark

The whole point about task per line mode is that you should not be able to start any section before the previous is 100% complete.

However the software can cope with out of sequence logic as the incomplete tasks will pile up past the data date leaving gaps in the completed sequence.

If you have FS logic between the In Line tasks then the sequence will be maintained or you can add FS logic to the uncomplete task in drop down mode.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Mark McErlean
User offline. Last seen 8 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi Mike, 

Thanks for the responce. Yes correct, its in task per line mode and my senior wants it to remain like that so I am unable to drop the individual tasks down as it would complicate a fairly easy to read programme (its a finishes programme based on floors of appartments). I use code librarys for each task in the task per line mode so if all the tasks are not 100% complete the progress like stops at % complete i.e I may have 5 1w tasks, the first 2 are 100% the third is 40& and the 4th is 100% complete however the progress stays at the 40% date. Can I bring this forward or illustrate this task is still incomplete in another way without adding to the programmes content?

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Hi Mark

The programme is in "Task per Line" mode.

To enter progress on each task in the line you can either:

1. Click on the little + sign on the extreme left column and the tasks will drop down for progress.

2. Highlight to task line and "unroll" the tasks and the tasks become sigle items. You can then copy paste the progress and then "roll up" afterwards.

You can also show the tasks per line as a "line of balance" chart which is similar to a time / chain diagramme - fantastic for linear repetitive  programmes.

Best regards

Mike Testro