Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

How take make a task which fills the gap between another two task, and is automatically adjustable

5 replies [Last post]
Ben Jokosenumi
User offline. Last seen 5 years 35 weeks ago. Offline

Hi,

I have the following question, on which I couldn’t find and answer in google.

How to make a task with flexible duration, which will fill the gap between other 2 tasks and will automatically adjust it’s length:
Example 

Task1: Deliver building material (fix start task)
Task2: Guard delivered building material (fixed units)
Task3: Build building (fix start)

So, I want Task2 to fill the gap between task 1 and task 3. I want it to adjust it’s length depending on how late task 1 finishes. So, that it will always start when task 1 is finished, and will always finish, when task 3 starts. Is it possible with Asta?
thanks

Replies

Andrew Pearce
User offline. Last seen 1 year 10 weeks ago. Offline

The Hammock type activity will work if task 1 and 3 are both milestones. Add them to a hammock activity called Guard delivered building material

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 1 week 4 days ago. Offline

Hi Ben

A buffer task is infinitely flexible between the movement of the start and finish links depending on both upstream and downstream movement.

What more do you want?

Best regards

Mike T.

Ben Jokosenumi
User offline. Last seen 5 years 35 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Mike,

Making it into a buffer task will only affect the start of the buffer task depending on the movement of its predeccesor, the back end of the buffer task will have a deadline constraint applied to it. What if i want the completion of a seperate task to drive the completion of a the buffer task (with a FF link)?

So i will have two task with a gap between them. The tasks may fluctuate in terms of start/completion dates, but a seperate task linked in between them will automatically fluctuate in duration along with them, to replace the gap between the two task. 

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 1 week 4 days ago. Offline

Hi Ben

Use a BUFFER task.

Creat a normal task using FS links and then Make Into> Buffer.

This is unique to Asta and does precisely what you wish.

There is an option to make it critical or not.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Robert Bell
User offline. Last seen 5 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi Ben,

I would have thought Asta has "Level of Effort" type tasks......?