Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Baseline Finish Date on Bar Chart

6 replies [Last post]
Ben Jokosenumi
User offline. Last seen 5 years 39 weeks ago. Offline

Hello Fellow Planners,

I created a contract baseline at the initiation of my project and i have progressed the project since then so activity bars have obviously shifted fowards and backwards. I want to display my baseline finish dates on the chart next to each activity to make it easier for my client to see where each tasks SHOULD have been finishing. But for some reason Asta is not allowing me to.

I usually right click on the bar>Format Bar Chart>Task, then go to the task data display. On the 'left data display' drop down, it allows me to select the same selections as the 'Add Column' function to display info on the chart. When i select finish, it only shows the finish dates of the task which are completed (100 Percent Complete), tasks that are still in progress are left blank. I want it to display the baseline dates so the finish date can be displayed whether the task has been completed or not.

Does anyone know how to do this? Or is there a reasonable alternative?

Thanks in advance!!!

Replies

Ben Jokosenumi

Thank you so much Charlotte exactly what i was looking for.

Cheers for both of your help!

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Hi Charlotte

Thanks for that input - learned something new today.

Best regards

Mike T.

Charlotte Underhill
User offline. Last seen 6 years 18 hours ago. Offline

Hi Ben,

There is a way that you can show this, you need to use text annotations. Firstly draw and attach a text annotation onto the end of a bar/task, then right click inside of the annotation and you can select a field, go to the date category and choose finish, a box of options will appear allowing you to chose between live data and baselines. Now you should have the finish date of one task, you now need to right click on the annotation again, choose properties from the drop down list, the properties box will then appear, there should be a box that says 'Make Auto Annotation', select this and every task will pick up the end date of your baseline.

Regards,

Charlotte

Mike Testro

Hi Ben

The baseline display is only a shadow of the saved baseline programme.

I have not tried this before but try opening the baseline programme and adding the dates to that - it may come up on the main chart.

Be careful because some changes to the baseline chart will prevent future merges.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Ben Jokosenumi

Hey mike

Cheers for your help. But i think that is only to display baseline dates in the Column section and not on the Bar chart itself. I have tried to add the dates onto the chart via the 'Format Bar chart' function, but it will only allow me to add the original 'Finish' and will not allow me to change it to the baseline finish. Maybe i should just stick the baseline bar and start/finish variance there instead.

Ben

Mike Testro

Hi Ben

You can show the planned start and finish of your baseline in the Left Hand data columns.

Create a new column for Start and in the data box select the appropriate baseline.

Do the same for Finish.

You will then have a direct comparison - you can also show the difference in your time unit.

Another way is to display the Baseline in its own line but that doubles the space on the chart.

Best regards

Mike Testro