Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

User defined field - not showing unless i put a date on the chart

3 replies [Last post]
Christine P
User offline. Last seen 9 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi there

Made a user defined field via "User Field Manager" called Frequency, all I want to type in there is "Monthly" or "2 yearly" or "Weekly" etc.

I've added it to my chart, I type in the activity description as usual, I type in the "Frequency" column the frequency but when I move off the column onto another, I lose whatever is in the "Frequency" column - unless I draw a date on the gant chart.

I've had this problem before, and Ive sorted it, but that was about 2 year ago and I now cant for the life of me work out how to have whatever is in my user defined columns show up without a dat against it.  Anyone help please!?

Replies

Ben Taunt
User offline. Last seen 20 weeks 19 hours ago. Offline

Hi Christine,

Mike is correct for when your UDF is set up as a Task UDF.  However, if you use a Bar UDF then you should have the functionality you need.

Ben 

Christine P
User offline. Last seen 9 years 26 weeks ago. Offline

Thanks Mike!

I thought I'd managed it before, perhaps I hadn't after all :D

No worries, Im putting milestones in as I go along anyway and will be moving them all when Im done so the problem is pretty much sorted - for this time anyway :)

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

Hi Christine

This is an inherent problem - you can only type data in a user field if there is a task on the bar.

You can put the information in the  Task Name Column - enter a task - Type The Frequency information - delete the task - not the bar - then you can format the text.

I hope that helps

Best regards

Mike Testro