Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Using 2 calendars

4 replies [Last post]
Andrew Owenson
User offline. Last seen 1 year 2 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi Guys

I am using two calendars, one with xmas & bank Holidays, and one with just xmas. The one with xmas + bank holidays is the project calendar and the other is applied to some of the activities. When I apply the second calendar to an activity, the bank holiday stops either side of the bar. Is there a way of making the main calendar go over the activities. I dont need anyone to know I am using 2 calendars its just visual.

Many thanks in advance.

Andrew

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 9 hours 50 min ago. Offline

Mike

Asta you said PowerProject does not use "necking" but displays a vertical band for each "exception" or non working period.

What if you have 20 calendars and for some weeks the combination includes every day as an exception?

Perhaps only on the main work week (or specific calendar) non-work days only and this is what you mean. Both are different as a main week work days is not as inclusive as a specific calendar.

My favorite Asta PP bar display function is the ability to display multiple bars on a single line without putting intersecting bars completely on top of another avoiding that one bar might hide others fully underneath. I find it very convenient for housing of individual homes as well as for condos.

http://www.planningplanet.com/forums/microsoft-project/532822/necking-ba...

Displaying individual bars necked for activity as well as for resource assignments is very convenient when you have complex resource assignments using multiple calendars. Bar necking I find to be better than any other method, very convenient for different calendars, especially good for different shifts where you can graphically see activity/resources bar necked by the hour/minutes, here you might graphically distinguish daytime shift from nighttime shift on a day per day basis.

Shift Bars photo ShiftBars_zps15201c93.jpg

Bar Necking photo Necking_zps0c9a29eb.jpg

There are many other uses for individual calendar necking, among the ability to display a bar showing all actual rain days necked.

Rafael

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 8 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

Hi Rafael

Asta PowerProject does not use "necking" but displays a vertical band for each "exception" or non working period.

Each exception can be given its own unique colour combination.

These can either be displayed or not in any combination or folded out of view.

They can be displayed over the task or under it.

I once did an entire EoT analysis and acceleration claim using nothing but calendar excpeptions and work patterns.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 9 hours 50 min ago. Offline

If the activity start and activity finish are not the issue but the showing of a bar that is discontinuous at non-work hours/days then the issue is necking and can be controlled in most software.

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 8 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

Hi Andrew

You can only attach one calendar to a task.

You can set the non working display for any one calendar but other task durations will still follow their own calendar.

One solution is to fold all non working days out of view.

Best regards

Mike Testro