Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Career Issues---as a Planner

5 replies [Last post]
Shareef Abdul Azeez
User offline. Last seen 2 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,

I would like to express my situation working as a Planner in UAE.
I started off as a Junior Planning Engineer for one of the construction companies in UAE; but being a fresher in Planning, I was at their head office where we used to prepare tender programmes for projects. I learned the basics of planning and the use of primavera. At our project sites Planners prepare monlthy progress updates, monthly reports, resource projections. Thats it..
and sometimes delay impact schedule. Claims is a section dealt by the Quantity Surveyors.
I worked here for 2 years and moved on to another company.
Here I work at the Site as a Planning Engineer, updating progress every now and then, revising programmes very often and I find that programme isnot relaible to give an actual finish date. The planned production is different from the actual production rate, there is no concern for planned production. Obstructions in work occur frequently, which is not recorded, atual progress at site is not quantified nor reported. Consultant Resident Engineer (who knows very little about primavera) checks the resource table and nothing else asks me to keep rectifying the allocated resource, when there is a lot of complications in the resource calculation when the activity actually starts....
I have finally turned out to be a site engineer who updates progress frequently to keep up to this situation.

I hear a lot about forensic claims, delay analysis planner etc...
How can I shift or direct my self into something like that..
Should I do a course...or something..
adding toall this nowadays companies ask for P6 experience.
When Costing on Promavera is not possible, I cant iagine doing it with P6..
Kindly Provide valuable information...
I am runnign out of time..Ill continue the rest of my plight in my next thread

Replies

Shahzad Sikandar
User offline. Last seen 5 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Planning is for Site / Build

leanrning plannig from books and office should not be the whole course.

if you could , work on site most of the time, observe the build process yourself. it will help you next time around when you develope a programme.

best of luck

shahzad
Shareef Abdul Azeez
User offline. Last seen 2 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
Thanx all for your support
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 6 weeks 20 hours ago. Offline
Hi Roland

You can post anything you like on the forum so long as it complies with the rules.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Roland Tannous
User offline. Last seen 12 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hey there,

I guess you might wanna start by reading some books related to the subject. But most importantly after you read a bit, come back to the forum and research specific subjects, you’ll get tips/tricks/hints that no book will give you in the sense that it will help you learn what works and what doesn’t work, the alternatives . This will hopefully get you going in the right direction.

Just message me and i’ll give you some book names, I’m not sure if I am allowed to post book names here
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 6 weeks 20 hours ago. Offline
Hi Shareef

You are not alone.

You have described the working conditions of a very large number of PP members around the world.

Its a bit like Cassandra - the mad daughter of Priam King of Troy when the Greeks invaded - she made accurate prophecies but she was never believed until it was too late.

As for getting into delay analysis you are starting from the right point in that you understand the reasons why delays are caused.

Why not start with your current project - when you have done all the progress reporting etc then practice delay analysis for real.

Save a file and start to put in the bottlenecks and problems that are being encountered and impact the likely completion date.

You can earn respect by doing this in your own time.

When you have some results show them to your upline manager and say "Look Boss I have been fiddling around with this - what do you think?"

Have some scenarios ready as to how the delay can be reduced (or "mitigated" in EoT speak)

If you do give it a try let me know how you get on.

Finally there is no course that I know of that teaches basic planning - let alone delay analysis.

Best regards

Mike Testro.