Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Mainteance planner vs Project planner

6 replies [Last post]
Ilkin Nagiyev
User offline. Last seen 15 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Hi, Everybody,

my question is to guys who have an experince in both, maintenance and project planning, is it very different subjects or at the end of day they are much more similar,

I am doing mainteance planning, shutdown and small modifications projects mainly, I’d like to apply for project planner positions, and actually I’ve done some but unsuccessfuly, now trying to find out the reason

many thanks

Replies

Abhijit Kale
User offline. Last seen 5 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
hahhaha,

Hi shagger,
is this in Nepal???

cheers,
abhi
smiling shagger
User offline. Last seen 15 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
i was asked to attend to a situation some while ago, where leaking sink appeared at the premises. i told the lady that what she actually need is not a planner but a plumber.
Qiu Wei
User offline. Last seen 13 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
i do mainteance planner in the first 2 years of my career , now transfer to project planner /scheduler at 3 years ago .
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 6 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Ilkin

If you’ll study some of the threads especially under this topic you’ll find some agents.
Most difficult will be a work permit. Germany is extremely restrictive for all persons from outside European Community/Union - even against Poland, who is a member. We have no chance to hire people from outside!
More liberal seem - my impression - UK, Ireland and Spain,; France just for their former colonies.
Best market for you seems the UAE.
Good luck
Dieter
Ilkin Nagiyev
User offline. Last seen 15 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Dieter,

thank you so much for your response. I am trying to find job through internet, I applied for planner positions in oil&gas industry, where most of the positions are related to project and construction. I have got only 5 years experince, last 4 of them are in oil&gas industry, and it is very strong experince. However I have not got any positive pesponse from applications I have done, I saw in your profile you are also in oil&gas, could you please recommend any agencies or web sites?

regards

Ilkin
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 6 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Ilkin

for my impression, maintenance planning is hard:
- shorter projects
- many the same time
- strong focus on resource planning
- big risk for interrupts - emergency cases, which remove personnel from planned activities

Shutdown-/ Turnaround-planning:
- Ten thousands of activities in some weeks/days
- Big risk for surprises
- Additional infrastructure, many additional persons, equipments....
- Simulations required before start

For both, your working place in inside the plant.

Projects (new buildings, plants...):
- Bigger
- More time for planning
- More time during project

Your working place is within an administration building.

So, it’s a very different style of planning. Both are challenging.

Why do you want to change? Maybe your reasons didn’t convince HR.

Regards

Dieter