Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Hay please Guide me

22 replies [Last post]
Nadeem Akram
User offline. Last seen 12 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Dear Sir,
I am a graduate Civil Engineer, got about 15 years of Engineering Experience.Presently i am working as Senior Engineer, Building Division, with a Majob Building Contractor in London UK.
I have done my 30 Days P3 Primavera Project Planner Diploma . I want to start my career as planner but how can you give me Guidance please i will be thankfulto you.
Thanks.

Nadeem Akram
My e-mail is

nadeemakram66@hotmail.com

Replies

Marcio Sampaio
User offline. Last seen 11 years 33 weeks ago. Offline
Hello all,

I think that the real point of this discussion is another.

PMP certification is importante? Yes, it is. In some countries more than others. (i think an MBA in PM is more important - it is my opinnion).

The question is:

Do u need to be a PMP to start to work in PM? (that was someone said during this discussion) No!!! U dont need!!!

PMP is for who has experience in PM ... not for who wants to start in PM.

Regards.

Marcio Eduardo
ashraf alawady
User offline. Last seen 9 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Eduardo ,
To start in PM ,I may agreed that PMP is not a starting contraint but to become a professional in PM or/and planning then PMP is a must.
ashraf alawady
Dear,James

With respect to your view which can reflect the requirements in UK (as you said )but still this can not be accepted in most of other countries were PMP certification is a must in odrder to become a proffesional planner.
James Bridges
User offline. Last seen 13 years 31 weeks ago. Offline
Muhammad,

Nadeem is based in London and involved in building works. Asraf says it is essential for professional planners to have PMP certification. I’ve never heard of any UK employers in construction in the UK looking for PMP certification from their planners. They are primarily interested in level of experience and then if the applicant is degree educated.

It is not essential in the UK construction market at present.

So therefore Muhammad, Asraf is wrong.
MUHAMMAD IQBAL
User offline. Last seen 6 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
hey

james

in which UK you are living

if you check PMP are increasing in UK out of all other countries

asraf is right

James Bridges
User offline. Last seen 13 years 31 weeks ago. Offline
Ashraf,

Disagree with your statement. I’ve never heard of PMP in the UK.
ashraf alawady
Charleston,I’m totally disagree with what you said.

PMP certeficate is a must and it is vital for any professional planner.

You can easy differentiat between the professionality of works done by two planners,one have PMP certeficate and the other have’t the same.
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Nadeem,

No need for PMP considering your experience.

Only guts and where your heart is: planning or otherwise.

Just remember what your teacher explained regarding project management as a start. Eventually, if you have time and resource, you may opt for PMP.

Cheers,

Charlie
Marcio Sampaio
"get your PMP first

then you can start your career in PM"

I dont think u have to get a PMP certification to start working with PM.

PMP - Project Management Professional.

So ... get experience in PM first ... study hard ... do many curses ... an MBA in PM if u can ... after that, get your PMP certification.

Doing this ... u will not be just a professional with three letters ... u will be professional prepared to work in Project Management.

Regards.
ashraf alawady
It’s highly recommended and very helpful for any planner.
Clive Randall
User offline. Last seen 16 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Just looked up that site
Appears to be American and require considerable experience before application and certification
Is this not chicken and egg????
Clive
Clive Randall
Do you think its essential for a planner to have this before he starts planning????
Clive
MUHAMMAD IQBAL
PMP
is Project Management professionals

This is a certification in Project Manangement.
get more about it from

pmi.org

Clive Randall
Whats PMP???????
Clive
Shahzad Munawar
User offline. Last seen 8 years 50 weeks ago. Offline
Having gone through all the suggestions, my opinion is that better to PMP first and then move to planner. It will be more helpful in this field.
Clive Randall
Nadeem
I note you are already working for a major contractor in London and have been an Engineer for 15 years.
Im guessing that there was a purpose in you gaining the P3 qualifications you have, and possibly your employer paid for the course. If so I would suggest you disscuss your future with them. All of the majors in the UK are desperate for planners and with your hands on experience I am sure you could provide a valuable contribution immeadiately. If as an Engineer you have had wide site experience putting that experience to work in planning projects is not so hard.
I agree with John look at the planning you have already done and highlight that in your CV. Think hard about this, you will probably realise that you have done a lot more planning than you think. Then ask yourself why you want to be a planner. I am sure you have met a number, some good some bad. Prepare a spreadsheet on what you feel were the good aspects and see how your skill set matches those you consider to be worthwhile. Talk to the planners in your current organisation and see what their experience has been and how that got started.
As to whether you need bits of paper I would suggest that with your experience you probably have a great deal of experience that an employer would want.
If you can look for a job on a major project, here you should find a number of planners with experience who can mentor you. I am not sure I really subscribe to this view but you will find vacancies for senior planners with only 3 years of experience, I would therefore suggest that you with some hard work could easily get to this level.
Finally when youve done all that map out where you want to be and what skills you need to have to get there, then set about aquiring those skills.
Tickeling your heart may not be enough focus on what people want from you and strive to gain the skills required.
Hope this helps
Clive
ashraf alawady
PMP cetification is a must.
John Lawson
User offline. Last seen 10 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
Hi

Perhaps try the following:

Update your CV to reflect any planning work that you have carried out as a senior engineer, any cources etc.

Send off your CV to any likly looking planning job you can find - try the job page on this site , or Planning Engineer Organisation Web Site, or Jobsearch UK etc etc.

Register your CV with as many web sites as you can find on the internet etc

As their is so much planning work about at the moment, particularly in the UK, you will eventually get lucky, then you may wonder why swop from being a senior engineer to a planner.

Regards

John
Tariq Usman
User offline. Last seen 1 year 21 weeks ago. Offline
dont worry nadeem, nothing is impossible as impossible is shouting itself "IM POSSIBLE", so i would say that you have the experience and the only thing which you need is to divert these skills to planning and you better start it from project management point of view, so better getting more knowledge of construction programming techniques, and to be honest i have found this website as one of the best source in this area.so discuss things and brings problems and issues in the circle, and you will realise yourself that you are on the right direction.

Tariq Usman
UK
MUHAMMAD IQBAL
get your PMP first

then you can start your career in PM
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Hello Nadeem,

Just immerse youself as planner and move on the the carreer you wanted and tickling deep in your heart.

If that means a planner, so be it.

Cheers,

Charlie
Marcio Sampaio
I suggest u to study about PM (PMBOK, books, curses, MBAs etc.)
Only a PM software curse is not sufficient.
Regards.