Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Please advise on how break into planning

7 replies [Last post]
James Gemmell
User offline. Last seen 9 years 1 week ago. Offline
Groups: None
I’m 35 years old and based in Liverpool,UK. I need advice on how to break into Planning. I have an Honours Degree in Civils. I have Site Engineering and Management experience in Construction, Civils & Residential. However, I’ve no Planning experience and haven’t used any of the specific software. How should I proceed? Are there any courses you’d recommend? Are there any Profeesional bodies I should join?

Many Thanks

James

Replies

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 6 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
Hi James

As far as I know Prince2 is not a purely construction planning software - it is used in project management for overall project control.

My son works in Local Government as a capital projects mananger and he uses it.

Best regards

Mike Testro
James Gemmell
Hi Mike.

Thanks for the tip, I’d heard of Power Project but not Power plan. I’ll check out the video too.

Regards

James

P.S.
Anyone know of any good short Project Management / planning / control courses. Is Prince2 relevant to Construction?
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 6 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
Hi James

You can also get a lightweight version of powerproject - easyplan.

Go to astadev.com for a trial.

They also have a video demo of the main product PowerProject v10.

Good luck in your career move.

Best regards

Mike T.
James Gemmell
Thanks Steve. I’ll do that. I’ve also applied for associate Mebership of the PEO & APM with the hope of learning more about Planning.

Regards

James
Steve Burrows
User offline. Last seen 11 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
If you can get your hands on a copy of Microsoft Project or P3 and possibly some programmes, perhaps from work to have a play around with would be a good start from a software perspective - you’ve been in the game long enough to ask the right questions, you won’t have any probs.

Steve
James Gemmell
Hello Alphons

Many thanks for the lead, will get straight onto it.

Regards

James
Alphons Bruns
User offline. Last seen 1 year 23 weeks ago. Offline