Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

A hard decision to make, can anybody please advise me as an experienced project controller?

2 replies [Last post]
Apple Sour
User offline. Last seen 11 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi guys, 

Since I am a recent graduate and I find quite diffcult to find a person to discuss my future within oil and gas industry or project control environment, I would be very much appreciated if you guys can advise me on this matter. 

okay lets begin,

I have been working for an oil&gas contractor called *** (Mainly deals with T&I projects) for 1 year and 1 month now as a cost control engineer, I am quite young and after graduating university I have spent 6 months working for a small manufacturing company as an estimator prior to joining ***.

Recently my former work college has forwarded me a job opportuinty to work as a korean speaking junior planner for a oil and gas EPC contractor called XXX (Mainly working on LNG projects), which she thoought I might be an ideal candidate since she knew that I have an interest in planning (I took city&guilds project control course and I know quite a bit about planning) as well as being a British person with a fluent Korean language skill. 

I heard that XXX did not even have 1 canddidate yet for the role even though it has been advertised for a while and the job title was advertised with competitive salary so during the interview told them I am on 36k GBP salary at the moment (am actually on 25k GBP but since I feel quite comfortable working for my currently company after spending more than a year now so I had nothing to lose). 

Then after the interview yesterday I had an e-mail from the company basically saying they are convinced that I have the job which they are convinced that I am certainly the right person and they are hoping if I am still interested to join the company but currently they need some more time in to finding the right fit on one of their new projects as a consequence they will come back to me regarding the follow up of the application process in a couple of weeks time. 

Now Pros & Cons about the 2 companies :

***:-

37.5 hours a week

Easy 10 minute drive commuting time

I am now quite comfortable with the company since I got along with colleagues very well and made lots of friends.

I do not see much of future progression/promotion ( However I think if build a solid 3~4 years of experience here then not much of a problem to move to other companies)

No/very little pay increase but currently my boss said that since everyone in my department is leaving because of that he has promised to match market rate but I have not got a clue what that is and has not been told and seen one yet.

(I currently live with my parents. mum works as a part time cleaner dad works as caretaker in an university and we do not own a house so I am helping mum to pay rent, council tax,bills etc as well as paying off her debt because of this I would not mind higher pay) 

XXX: -

40 hours a week

Horrible 1 hour 15 minute walk, bus,train and tube journey (absolutely exhausted after that journey)

During the interview process I have spent 3 hours talking to 4 different senior managers. They were rude, selfish, made me to wait long, asked me all the questions they wanted then left the interview room since they have to go and I did not have chance to ask them much questions. After this I have sensed that it would be a nightmare to work under them which I have never felt this feeling during 2 previous companies and many other interviews I have had in my life.

Higher salary (which I do not know yet but I expect higher than 36k GBP)

Have to pay for zone 1 to 6 ticket which costs 2000 pounds for a year

There is a fabrication yard in korea and XXX mainly deals with Hyundai construction hence why my languages skill can be utilised and I can see my self progressing quite well.

Good american company benefit package.

Could be hard to start again and adapting a new company 

The role is a planner but it is more like Project Controller looking after cost side as well as planning so this could be a good way to learn but might be challenging.

Okay as an experienced Project Controller, which path would you take? I would be very much appreciated if you guys can advise me. Also since I am moving cost control to planning, if you can advise me on benefits about moving to planing then that would be superb!

Replies

Apple Sour
User offline. Last seen 11 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Gary,

Thank you for your kindness, your thoughts really helped me a lot! I truely appreciate your effort for the reply.

I have forgot to mention my current company does EPC contracting as well, so it seems like you are quite positive on me moving to the new company apart from the fact that I have to wait a few weeks and the potential rudness of new managers. 

I have just realised my CV may turn out to look like a job hopper if I decide to leave my current company with only 1 year experience. Do you think this will work against me?  

Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 4 years 45 weeks ago. Offline

Apple,

I have ammeded your original post to remove the names of the companies -My first advice to you is that it is not a good idea to post a message like this where anybody from your current or potentially future employer might read it!

As to which way to go, then career-wise the new job sounds like the right way to go. -EPC contracting is where planners & cost controllers really earn their value, and where good career experience can be gained quickly. Plus if your language skills are valued there, you may find yourself being given more responsibility earlier on than you might otherwise expect for a planner just starting out.

One note of caution is that thier response to you about waiting a few weeks could suggest they are struggling for funding and/or future work -Do your homework on the company before accepting.

You say you are comfortable where you are, but in my experience once you start getting too comfortable, it's because the job isn't challenging you anymore, which means it's possibly time to move on.

Only you can decide if the potential career benefits outweigh the potential rudeness ofs some of your new managers. -Though I would say that managers can often treat employees with more sensitivity than they do interviewees.

I had a 10 min cycle ride commute from home once, and it was blissfull. But planners go where the projects are. If you make planning your career, expect long commutes and/or living in digs/hotels.