Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Economic recession effecting Planners?

7 replies [Last post]
Ed van der Tak
User offline. Last seen 11 weeks 6 days ago. Offline
To all,

Do you feel that (or already experience) the current economic situation is making it harder to find new jobs or projects? Or is a planner needed more in these periods? Will the strongest (quality) survive?

Awaiting your replies,

Ed van der Tak
ARAM Planning Consultants
The Netherlands

Replies

Darrell ODea
User offline. Last seen 18 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Guest wrote - "By the way, are you still looking for jobs in the "Launch Pad Area", or are you not as flexible as you make out ???"

Always flexible, if you have the right lauch pad anything is possible. Have you something in mind??
Mehdi Rashidi Ala...
User offline. Last seen 5 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
Dear my friends,
I think the planners can be effective in every condition and any fields.
By the way worldwide economic status represents that has not been used from planning tools in the any levels.

Regards
M.Rashidi
Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 2 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
BRILLIANT! - Every planner should be able to become a turncoat Cost Engineer or Project Controls Engineer or even, dare I say it, a Change Control Manager (An especially good role for those hanging onto the tail coat of any large "I have no idea how many people are on the job" projects).

By the way, are you still looking for jobs in the "Launch Pad Area", or are you not as flexible as you make out ???
Darrell ODea
User offline. Last seen 18 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
Do you feel that (or already experience) the current economic situation is making it harder to find new jobs or projects? Or is a planner needed more in these periods? Will the strongest (quality) survive?

As expressed earlier by another, there are probably fewer real prospects for Planners out there, than some consultants may lead you / us to believe.

The best prospects in my experience to date, are the prospects that you can dig up yourself. And with no consultants fees in between, these prospects can be easier to negotiate.

Also, again form experience, agents or consultants can sometimes be vague in relaying an employers requirements, and also forget alltogether the criteria that which you set.

Experienced Planners, are extremly flexible and have also lots of special "other" skills. Economic situation therefore should not be overbearing on the capacity to source jobs or income.

Planners are the "Hacks of the Construction Industry" and that is meant as a compliment.
Guy Hindley
User offline. Last seen 5 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
I see the importance of good planning is even more important now than ever. The major issue we have is to help raise the profile of the importance of good planning to all those engaged in the project management profession, so that what we do is appreciated and understood to be absolutely essential. When things get tough then unfortunately people start "doing" and forget about planning.

How we get this wider appreciation is the really big question. When we can solve that then joy forever.
Tara Muddappa
User offline. Last seen 17 years 1 week ago. Offline
Hi Guys,

In the UAE its been Good so far and there is demand for Good planners.For the newcomers(new to middle east)one has to start at a low salary,since lot of planners are available for very low salary.

Here more preference is given to the candidate who can carryout planning as well as coordination.

I can see a Good prospects for planners to try for project managers or asst.PM or Project coordinators position if one has Good technical skills.
Steven Oliver
User offline. Last seen 11 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
The UK market is still very (post Xmas) quiet. Lots of enquiries from agencies, but very few hard opportunities.