Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

progress percentage

7 replies [Last post]
Umer Mehmood
User offline. Last seen 1 year 47 weeks ago. Offline
Hellow to All

My name is umer , i am currently working on the construction of Cement Plant . The civil work is only started as only foundations of some structures are complete. The design of super structure is delayed and we have only few elements drawings of the structures.
Keep in this background the client ask me to give area wise progress , i dont know that the area or buliding super sturcture ie how many beams and columns are there .
Now Question is how can i satsify my client as he insist on asking area wise percentage completion
your advised would be helpful for me

Thanks
Umer Mehmood
Civil Planning Engineer

Replies

Asadullah Magsi
User offline. Last seen 13 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Umer Mehmood
User offline. Last seen 1 year 47 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks to all who have answered my question

special thanks to Trevor Rabey Austrailia

what i did i made a plan of area on primavera than add progress of that area on primavera than by totaling on Area basis i get area wise progresss

I entered progress on duration basis , that really worked out

Thankyou

But i think the entering progress on duration basis is not a good indicator in progress

and Anoon Iimos you are right they just want rough values for some of their presentations
Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Umar,

The only thing that I would add to Trevor’s answer is a section for Variation Orders.

Good luck,

Samer
Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Umer,

Maybe the Client just wanted a rough estimate (area-wise). I believe he made his pricing area-wise as well. So you can bring your Client to site and just whisper to him how much have you spent since you started this project? And if you just see a plain area with a few excavations and foundations, then you can tell your Client that that’s what you just spent is worth, others are still on paper (drawings).
Jackie Gilliland
User offline. Last seen 13 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Umer

I would suggest that to correctly resolve your problem you need to clearly understand your contract and the contractual obligations of both parties.

Who is responsible for the design and information being late?
Is there some form of estimate for doing this job and what was the basis of that?
Do you have any base quantities that were used during negotiations or pricing for this contract?

If the cause of the problem is due to the client being late, you may put the ball in his court with a smart remark.

As I planner I suggest you review whatever information you may have available and provide the progress to your client to your best ability, with a clear understanding between yourself and your client of the basis you have applied to establish the progress, and with agreement to review it when better information is available.

By addressing this correctly it could be to your favour should a claim situation arrise in future.

Hope this helps.

Jackie
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Hi Trevor

Brilliant!

You have summed up how to report progress very succinctly.

How can you send it to all planners on PP?

I don’t need to know because I am not a planner.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Trevor Rabey
User offline. Last seen 1 year 21 weeks ago. Offline
You will soon find that the client’s question is meaningless, and displays his lack of understanding and questionable numeracy.
Unless you can find something to measure, and one number (actual) to divide by another number (total), you can’t do it.
You have only 4 things to measure and divide:
Duration, eg 60 days actual/300 total = 1/5 = 20%
Work, eg 480 Hours actual Work/2400 = 1/5 = 20%
Cost, eg $48000 actual cost/240000 = 1/5 = 20%
The Task, eg 2000 m3/10000m3 = 1/5 = 20%

Ask the client which of the 4 he wants.