Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

CBS, WBS Integration

19 replies [Last post]
ALassam Ghanem
User offline. Last seen 17 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Cost Breakdown Structure, Work Breakdown Structure are an essential parts in Construction Projects Management. an integration between WBS and CBS are an important matter to Manage and Control The construction project.
Please, I need Some Information about CBS, WBS and the Advanteges of Integration between them in construction projects."Free Books, Articals, Information"

Heartly Greetings

Replies

Ahmad Laji
User offline. Last seen 25 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Malaysia

Dear Fellow planners,

Ive read the forum about WBS/CBS/OBS, i'm now currently doing waterpark project and i got into WBS for this project.

I would appreaciated if anyone has sample WBS for my references. my email is tmyong@hotmail.com

We can share knowledge if anything . Thanks

Regs,

Matt

Balaji Surendiran
User offline. Last seen 12 years 50 weeks ago. Offline
Hai Mr. Luca Basile Can u send the slides for me also if u don’t mind.
my E-mail Id: bala_vrce@yahoo.com
Cheers
Bala
BEEPEE PAUL
User offline. Last seen 19 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Dear
Could u send the slides in "paulasind@indiatimes.com", please...
Bye
Mehdi Rashidi Ala...
User offline. Last seen 5 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
Dear ALassam,
Your query is very important in the PM terminology.
In the our countries accounting DEPT is out of PM systems.
We must establish a system for integration between WBS & CBS by localised system.
I want help you for create this system. please contact me with email address mehdi.rashidi@engineer.com

B/R
Rashidi
David,
you don’t need to use WBS codes to create WBS in Spider Project though this package creates WBS codes for any structure if necessary. We always use multiple WBS structures to be able to analyze projects from the different points of view and to get necessary reports.
Usual structures: results, processes, responsibilities, cost accounts, contracts, geography, organizational, etc. Just switch to another (new) WBS, create phases, choose necessary activies, cut them and paste into corresponding phase. Nothing will change in other structures. And you can switch from one WBS to another by the mouse click in the menu Project/WBS.
This feature is very useful.
Vladimir
David Watters
User offline. Last seen 19 years 1 week ago. Offline
Lori

We have a similar problem on our project as well - in the commercial sector. The WBS dictated by the client and used in the schedule to track effort costs through detail design RESULT CBS !

How are you proposing to handle the problem of highlighting the potential pitfalls?

Vladimir - What breakdown do you use for your different WBS codes? I know a few who have sucessfully used this approach in the past for offshore coding issues
Lori,
why having several breakdowns in one project is considered as a problem. We always use several WBS - result WBS, process WBS, resposibility WBS, and others if necessary. It is a common practice.
Lori Frederick, PMP
User offline. Last seen 16 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Basil,
I am also interested in an illustration or description of how to integrate the various breakdowns within a project. My client is having a difficult time accepting that their proposed "WBS" is actually a CBS and that, from a schedule management perspective, we will need to have two realted, yet different breakdowns. (This is a major US govt agency and I am surprised at their reaction)

lori pierce
lpierce@hq.nasa.gov
Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 2 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
For Mr. Dragos Daescu
Thanks a Lot for this web site but i know this site and it is very useful but do not have what i need exactly.
Sincerely Your
Dipl.Eng- ALassam Ghanem
Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 2 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
For Mr. Emre Bayrak
This is an Artical Speaks about the Integration about CBS and WBS and OBS.
[William J. Rasdorf and Osama Y. abudayyeh, (1991) "Cost- and Schedule-Control Integration: Issues and Needs" ASCE, 117(3), 486-502].
i do not have an electronic copy, so you can find it in the Magazine of construction and engineering and management.
Sincerely Your
Dipl.Eng- ALassam Ghanem
Luca Basile
User offline. Last seen 9 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
Give a look at APEX project.
Is given with P3, in the same CD.
Is a pretty good example of integration Wbs/Cbs and Obs.
Emre Bayrak
User offline. Last seen 9 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Qatar
Hi I also need some help on the issue you discussed.Can you also send me these slides or can you give any referance about ’3D system’ you told ? Thanks Emre emre.bayrak@talu.com.tr
Luca Basile
You are welcome.
This one I found in the net, I just modify a little and put the animation to better use for trainning.I have done a lot of others, on different topics. At the moment I have just sent You the other two.

Luca
ALassam Ghanem
Thanks a lot Dear Sir
I Received your slide and i found it very important and useful, i hope to receive the others, so i freed my mail box and i have another one: assam1@scs-net.org
Sincerely Your
Dipl.Eng- ALassam Ghanem
Luca Basile
I sent You an email with a slide.
I try to send other 2 slides, but You email box was full.
When You will free it,let me know and I will send the other two.

ALassam Ghanem
Luca Basile
send me Your email and I will forward some materials.

Luca
ALassam Ghanem
Dear Sir Thanks for your reply.
I searched in Googel But I did not find any free web site or books, so i will be very thankful if you help me in finding some information about this topic.
sincerely your
Dipl.Eng- ALassam Ghanem

E-mail: assamghanem@hotmail.com
Luca Basile
An integrated WBS/CBS/OBS is one of the requirement also to establish an EV management.
The intersection of this will give You the accounts.
Looking at them You can find out where the project is going bad or well, identify the reason and address all this to the right person.
The intersection of the three is giving a 3D model.
Or if taken two by two a matrix system.
I try to be as much as possible short as You can find a lot of good references around the net as well as good books on the issue. Just run a search on gogle.
Or send me Your email address and I can address You to some material more dedicate.