Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Project Management for High technology industries

9 replies [Last post]
Mehdi Rashidi Ala...
User offline. Last seen 5 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
Does anyone know-how about Project Management System for hi-tec industries?I know this is very important System.
Any reference will be welcomed

I think System & Procedure of Hi-tech industries of PM different than normal System of PM.

ie: There is not normwork in Microelectronic industries for creative Baseline. As you now the normwork is very important for PM.

Replies

Mehdi Rashidi Ala...
Dear David,
You are right.In addition role of PM in the High tec project is a yield management.
In the wafer fab , yield management is very important for any fab companies.
I think PM convert to total solution techniques in the Hi-Tec projects ( or company)
On of the most problem in the high tech that is top management not be used skills of pm and all of them is techincal manager.
Your comment?
I disagree with the comments to date. High tech and IT programmes are becoming more visible to the sponsors and customers in an ever demanding competetive environment.

Competetiveness, return on investment and delivering projects on time and within costs with minimal risk are key targets in the boardroom these days.

There are several tools available to assist Project and Programme managers in achieving their goals.

Most large corporations are now investing in Enterprise PM tools which have several advantages such as enterprise wide resource management, portfolio management, earned value and CPI/SPI at project, programme, division, location and corporate level.

My past 35 years in PM has given me the opportunity to assess several tools rangeing from the old Mac Project,Artemis, Open Plan, MSP and most Primavera products as well as the leading risk management applications.

As the president of the UK Primavera usergroup I have seen membership expand from construction and rail to telecommunications, defence, space etc, more so over the past 5 to 6 years. Such names as Motorola, Hutchinson 3, Hewlett Packard, EDS and Astrium come to mind with other engineering/IT/Telecomms companies following. Engineering companies such as Rolls Royce, BNFL etc are following the lead. All the aforementioned are users of either P3, P3e or Teamplay products.

This has opened up the market for planners, however, within the high tech/IT industries more emphasis is put on the project managers to maintain their own schedules and use the tools to drive the projects rather than as a reporting tool. PM applications are becoming more user friendly these days and Project Managers are taking a more pro-active role in managing projects as opposed to being technical SME’s.

Regards

Dave Forrest
Mark Lomas
User offline. Last seen 15 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Mehdi,

I don’t know if IT / hi-tech projects utilise planners. I would expect not, but try the forums at gantthaed and see.
Mehdi Rashidi Ala...
Dear mark,
I notice that in high technology projects pm is combine with high tech tools.
For sample, in the IC industry , designers used EDA tools.in the EDA tools exist PM. in this case are there any role for planner?

Mark Lomas
User offline. Last seen 15 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Yes, but it is not just the hi-tech industries, it is the changing business environment in general. Application of "new" [?] soft skills is also not confined to hi-tech, it is a globally recognised shift in emphasis across all industries.

Anyway, back to the topic. The replies give you some clues as to the software packages employed. However, PM methodologies are not just about software and many sector-specific methodologies are being developed rapidly. I would suggest you refer to GanttHead or similar sites and look at the developed methodologies there.
Mehdi Rashidi Ala...
Dear all,
The rapidly changing shape of technology industries requires a constant reevaluation of what it takes to manage such sophisticated corporations effectively. Management for Quality in High-Technology Enterprises explains how traditional "hard" management skills must be combined with new "soft" skills, why an expanding, global market necessitates an expanding, global mindset, and why a "focus on customers" must dominate all aspects of business.
Mehdi Rashidi Ala...
Thanks for reply.
Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 2 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Check out Concerto by Realization. Their focus is managing uncertainty inherent in new product development through Critical Chain Buffer Management.

Since the project timeline is probalistic in nature, and the uncertainty in the high-tec sector is high, then predicting which target dates will be met depends largely on the PMs ability to manage the relative priorities for a variety of resources.

Theory of constraints addresses this well by focusing the PMs attention to leveraging small improvements at the constraint into large benefits for the project.
Primavera TeamPlay is the current favoutite in the IT/Telecoms industry follewed by P3E for engineering.