Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

planned percent complete = baseline percent complete????

2 replies [Last post]
Russell Manuba
User offline. Last seen 10 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

ALL,

We are required by our client to compare actual percent complete vs planned percent complete on our weekly meeting. To report on actual percent complete, I'm using duration percent complete to show actual. I have one issue here, There are two duration percent complete (Duration % complete and Duration % complete original). What is the difference between these two? Which percent complete would show the actual completion percentage? --- thanks in advance. 

I thought that BL percent complete would show me the planned percent complete but when i plug in column BL percent complete from the column list, it does not show any numbers/percentages.

I am on the right track in using the BL percent complete to show the planned percent complete? If not, how could determine the planned percent complete as of data date.

THANKS THANKS!

Russell

Replies

Johannes Vandenberg
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Hi Russell

Primavera uses the Performance % completion and the Scheduled % completion for the actual % completion and the planned % completion. Please also note that when you use the % Duration type you can not separately  control the % completion and the duration of the activities use physical % completion if you want the control these separately. If you want more information on the layout then suggest to display the desired  baseline in the barchart and the same baseline in the columns section.

Regards Johannes

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 12 hours 7 min ago. Offline

Your Baseline schedule if a CPM Schedule has Early and Late Bars, the main idea of CPM is that activities have float except on critical path. It makes no sense to compare actual performance exclusively against Early Bars as you would not be considering float unless you do not understand what a CPM is and believe it is same as a fixed bar schedule.

S-Curves will show a summary not on a per activity basis.

Take a look at the following figure.

photo ActivityComplete_zps7a5794be.jpg

You will be able to get planned early percent per activity for current data date from Baseline Schedule by updating a copy of the baseline to current data date. You will be able to get planned late percent per activity for current data date from Baseline Schedule by updating a copy of the baseline to current data date with all activities set to as late as possible. Quite a tedious task.

To me it is better to display Early and Late Bars from Baseline and Current Schedule and perhaps on a two month look ahead filter. It not only gives you a visual representation of the percentages but also how much ahead or behind.

As a practical matter I would negotiate to display the the above after explaining the Owner this is a better option and will direct attention to what matter most, current future projections and concentrate on keeping the job on track based on actual conditions.