Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Renumbering Activities

21 replies [Last post]
Mark Anthony
User offline. Last seen 11 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Dear planners,

how to change 5000 actvity id's using global change,can you help me? thank you..

Replies

Anning Sofi
User offline. Last seen 5 years 37 weeks ago. Offline

Mark,

Activity renumbering will not work if the activity ID  has and activity strucrure, and by itself mean something; for example

TP103300R0, activity structures is X-XX-XXX-XX-XX

for this example  T=Terminal; P1=Podium 1, 033= CSI (concrete), 00 = sequential number R0 = Rev 0

If you can do export import, then it is fairly easy, and this process will not disturb the activity relationships:

1) Create a User Defined Field under the Enterprise, User Define Fields, attribute as Text, Let say you assign the User Define Field as NewID.

2) Create an export file (excel) with the fields, Activity ID, WBS, Activity Status and NewID.  In excel, open you export, which should show the columns Activity ID, WBS, Activity Status and New ID, together with the data. Of course the New ID is still blank.

3) Under the NewID, indicate the new id corresponding to the original activity ID in your programme. You can of course use VLOOKUP in excel to make it easier.

4) Save this file.

5) Import this file to P6.

6) Using Global change, you can then set the criteria Activity ID = NewID in the global change parameters.

7) Run and commit the change. P6 will re ID your programme with the new acitivity IDs and still maintain the relationships between this new IDs similar to the relationships between the activities using the original IDs.

DONE.

Raymund de Laza
User offline. Last seen 31 weeks 18 hours ago. Offline

Yes you are right Alfred...

Alfredo Jr. Hubilla
User offline. Last seen 4 years 39 weeks ago. Offline

yeah i know sir, but I think mark is asking how to use it in global change?

Raymund de Laza

Hi Alfred,

I am using P6.1 and can change Activity ID's (Not renumbering only) of more than 75,000 Activities using the SDK function.

Alfredo Jr. Hubilla

There is no easy way to change the Activity ID especially if you are using p6 V6.2, you can use renumbering ACTIVITY ID in the higher version of Primavera. But in P6 v6.2 and lower, you can use the global change. *go to tools, global change, new. and then, in the "if" parameter, Where - use WBS  is under select the acitivities in the WBS you want to change. and in the "then" parameter select the activity = custom (write the activity codes you want) and then lick change, dnt commit changes, and exit the global change, I hope this can help you.

Alfred

Alfredo Jr. Hubilla

There is no easy way to change the Activity ID especially if you are using p6 V6.2, you can use renumbering ACTIVITY ID in the higher version of Primavera. But in P6 v6.2 and lower, you can use the global change. *go to tools, global change, new. and then, in the "if" parameter, Where - use WBS  is under select the acitivities in the WBS you want to change. and in the "then" parameter select the activity = custom (write the activity codes you want) and then lick change, dnt commit changes, and exit the global change, I hope this can help you.

Alfred

Raymund de Laza

Mark,

Please let me know if it helps.....

Good Luck!

Mark Anthony

Hi,

This is my email anthony999913@yahoo.com thank you

Mark Anthony

Hi Mr. Raymund,

How do i used SDK?is there a risk in my activities if i used that?i don't know how to use it..pls help me, thank you,

mudasir dijoo
User offline. Last seen 4 years 8 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Mark

if nothing works,  you can use option REPLACE in edit,

Raymund de Laza

Hi,

Use the Activity6x.xls via SDK.

Mark Anthony

hi hani,

i tried to export and import the activities but the problem is when i import it,the activity relationship is gone.. can i use global change in changing my activity id's? thank you,

Jenny Ingco
User offline. Last seen 2 years 28 weeks ago. Offline

Ok, so the best way to do that is by Export to XLS spreadsheet and make the changes then Import to XRE. Pease, send me your E-Mail so I can send you the steps if you like.

Jenny Ingco

Ok, so the best way to do that is by Export to XLS spreadsheet and make the changes then Import to XRE. Pease, send me your E-Mail so I can send you the steps if you like.

Johannes Vandenberg
User offline. Last seen 8 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

Hi Mark

I am using P6 7

Regards Johannes

Raymund de Laza

THE RE-NUMBERING ID OPTION IS NOT AVAILABLE ON P6.2

Jenny Ingco

The best way to do that is from P6 go to Edit-Renumbering activities ID. I belive if you export and import to EXL you will lose the relations and some functions between the activities..

Jenny Ingco

The best way to do that is from P6 go to Edit-Renumbering activities ID. I belive if you export and import to EXL you will lose the relations and some functions between the activities..

Raymund de Laza

Hi,

Use the import / export from excel through SDK.

Mark Anthony

Hi Johannes,

Thank you for answering my question,but i cannot find that option to renumber my activity id's,, for example All of my activities have an activity id's like this CAW9A.01, CAW9A.02 and so on, CAW9B.01, CAW9B.02 and so on, CAW9J.01, CAW9J.02 and so on,, I have 56 floor level to edit, in every floor level it is divided into 3 section named Section A, Section B, and Section J. In every section there are all have the same activities, my problem is how to change that particular activity id's in every floor in the fastest way.

Thank you,

Johannes Vandenberg
User offline. Last seen 8 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

Hi Mark

In P6 ,go to Edit and select tab "renumber activities". Follow the instructions. I use this funtion frequently to create "intelligent" id coding.

Say, you have activities with the same discriptions but thes are in different WBS sections or on different fases of the work. Then it is advisable to renumber the activities to match the different fases to make sure that you can recognise the activities when you apply filters .

Johannes