Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

User-Defined Filed and Global Change

8 replies [Last post]
Muhammad Asim
User offline. Last seen 7 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi:

I have createrd a User-Defined field "Working Days". Now through a Global Change I want to assigne "Orignal Duration" to User-Defined Field "Working Days". For example Orignal Duration = 10d, then after Global Change Working Days becomes Working Days= 10.

Anybody can help me.

Replies

Alex Alex
User offline. Last seen 6 years 26 weeks ago. Offline

Hannes, Thanks.

Just to add, the same info is also available in "USER preference" screen also if the admin allows it in ADMIN screen.

Hannes de Bruyne
User offline. Last seen 1 year 32 weeks ago. Offline

In the reply of Alex it should read

"
(that we give in ADMIN PREFERENCE screen) to convert them to hours for its internal calculations.

"

because this determines the figure for storing the input to the database

Alex Alex

From what I understand, the PM module treat all durations in hours for all its internal calculations even though it will display the duration in days, weeks, months or year based on our "Durations Format" definition we set; and further use the numbers we specify at the "Hours Per Time Period" definition (that we give in USER PREFERENCE screen) to convert them to hours for its internal calculations.

Muhammad Asim

Thank you Alex. I got it. Infact I was doing the same, not dividing by working hours. i.e 8. This means inside orignal duration is duration x 8? Isn't it like this?

Alex Alex

Hi Asim

You acn do it through the Global change.

Go to  TOOLS>GLOBAL CHANGE

Create a new Global Change name called "Fill Work day from original Duration"

Then set If condition as:

Where Original Duration is greater than or equal to "0"

Then 

User defined field "Work Day"  |  Is = |  Original Duration |  /  | divided by operator "/"   |    Put your daily number of working hrs here if your durations are in days.

and click OK

Then Press "APPLY CHANGE"

You get a report showing Old Value and new Value.  Old value may be empty and new value will have the original durations for that activity.  Then press COMMIT CHANGE and Say "NO" to log file change prompt.

Then you can insert the User defined field "Work Day" into your activity column and can see the "original duration" populated into your  User defined field "Work Day".

Muhammad Asim

Hi Arian:

Thank you for your replay. Yes Kumar gave me a good suggestion. But my question is that, is it possible which I am aslking for. Or this is the only way. If "working days" is a predefined field, then if we define an other User defined field like"Work Day", and want to assigne "Working Days". My question is that now, is it possible or not. And what data type would be of "Work Day" (I mean Text, integer, number)?

Aries Arian
User offline. Last seen 12 years 25 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Asim,

Kumar has Given you the right suggestion.But if you have some issue in Global change and you wanted to clear it through your question then let us know.I shall discribe you step by step Process of how to apply Global change.

Regards,

Aries.

kumar s
User offline. Last seen 8 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Hi if u have to just show in ur columns the working days same as the original dur then why dont u rename in the columns itself. I dont see any need for global change.