Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Importing from Excel spreasheet into P6

7 replies [Last post]
Mia Ng
User offline. Last seen 3 years 14 weeks ago. Offline

Hi there,

Could someone please help me? I need to import an old programme in Excel spreasheet format into P6. I've got that error message that "The User Preferences used to create this Excel file could not be found. Importing this file could corrupt your data.  Please refer to Help for more information about importing data from Excel. Are you sure that you want to continue?".

After I click Yes, nothing could be select to go next, except for Cancel the process. I've tried with help and have tried to amend the excel file heading columns like in P6, but still got the same error message above.

Please help me as the programme has almost 2000 activities and it would save me weeks to type them in P6 one by one :(

Many thanks in advance.

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

it depends on what you want to import some fileds are not importable unless using SDK

go into p6 

create a project

create any necessary codes you may want to import

create 1 dummy activity and assign each code to this activity 

export this 1 activity from p6 to excel and select what items that you want to export this will be used as your template to import your information from excel to p6

open both files in excel and copy the informatin from your old spreadsheet into the newly exported spreadsheet.

note the format for each column will an apostrophe ' character as the leading character in the cell.

Tim B
User offline. Last seen 6 years 32 weeks ago. Offline

This program will convert microsoft project file to xer

About:

http://eppmsoft.com/articles/p6eppm_admin/P6EPPM_Admin_doc.php

Download 30 day trial (Admin tools):

http://www.eppmsoft.com/downloads.php

Scott Chumley
User offline. Last seen 13 years 5 weeks ago. Offline

Hey Mike - Afraid not.  I wish it was that simple.  P6 is a complicated tool and is not setup the same way many Microsoft products are.  Its a database oriented type of system, not a spreadsheet.  But really, its pretty easy to create an import file as decribed below, then just copy and paste all the activities at one time into the import file.  The import the revised spreadsheet back in.  Literally takes about 3 minutes. 

Dont let the copy/paste functions drive your software choice.  P6 is by far the most powerful and versatile scheduling tool I've ever used.  I wont use anything else now.

Thanks,

Scott Chumley

Check out my blog!  Soon I will have P6 training videos and a huge templates download warehouse!  If you have suggestions for an article just email me.

Project Controls Network

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Hi Scott

I do not use P6 and the more I learn from this forum then I realise why I am better off without it.

Surely you can copy all 2000 texts in Excell and just paste them in one click into the corresponding column in P6?

I will be starting to use P6 next week with my new employer and if the software will not allow simple copy paste between columns then I will be driving for a switch to PowerProiect.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Scott Chumley
User offline. Last seen 13 years 5 weeks ago. Offline

Mike,

You can, but if you have 2,000 activities it is much faster to import them rather than copying and pasting one at a time.  You would still have to apply logic and relationships but at least you dont have to type everything.

Thanks,

Scott

Project Controls Network

Andy Power
User offline. Last seen 3 years 31 weeks ago. Offline

Mai

It sounds like the Excel spreadsheet you are trying to import is in the wrong format.  Export a project to Excel to get the correct format (tab names, column headings, user settings), then delete all data and use this as a template.  Paste your programme in to the correct tabs/columns and import to P6 .... should work.

Andy 

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Hi Mai

Are you saying that you cannot just copy/paste between excell and P6 spreadsheets.

Best regards

Mike T.