Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

original duration changing while scheduling

7 replies [Last post]
Sureshbabu Shanmugam
User offline. Last seen 11 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Pls let me know why scheduling my progrss program the original duration changing? to remain same how i schedule

Replies

Sureshbabu Shanmugam

Dear Ujam,

Its true , I agree you,thanks

Regards,

S.Sureshbabu

Sureshbabu Shanmugam

Hi , pls any one help me to resolve my problem again in original duration

My company staff left the planning job i have been asked to do the job in P5,

previously Iam working in P3.

the problem is

When I import target file(XER file) form the soft copy(CD ) the Original duration get changing why?

When I import Progress program  form the soft copy(CD ) the Original duration get changing why?

Evaristus Ujam
User offline. Last seen 11 years 38 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Sureshbabu,, ,,            ,,

Ability to achieve your plann'd duration is the acid test of your schedule. To ensure your original duration does not change, you ve got to effectively stay on top of your schedule; avoid slippages and stay on the overdrive lane all through and ensure your project is delivered at due date. However, most schedules dont go that way and that is one reason you get to baseline your schedule so you can always bench mark changes that occur in durations ( as the shedules begin to slip) with the original durations in the baselined schedule. Your original durations will definitely change any time you begin to optimize your resources and their hours of exposure. Even the employment of task split in some activities can also effect your original duration. As a planner, you are the Judge and the jury. Learn to use your tools effectively to perform any operations you desire and you will be home and dry.

Regards

Ujam

Sureshbabu Shanmugam

Thank you very much ,Mr.Simon

Simon Willson
User offline. Last seen 2 years 37 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Sureshbabu,

The duration change could be the result of a number of factors. 

Firstly, during your update, if you do not update the remaining days then the activity will slip by the factor in which you are updating.

Secondly, your duration change may be the result of adding resource, changing units over time or updating units for the resource.  Check which duration type you are using and refer to the P6 manual for an explanation on the different scheduling options. 

Your activity should not change due to the calendar you are using.  The duration should remain constant from the time you assigned the calendar.  Rescheduling will not change the duration.  However, if you update the calendar with say public holidays, or revised shift patterns, this could affect the activity duration.

Hope this helps. 

Simon

Simon Willson
User offline. Last seen 2 years 37 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Sureshbabu,

The duration change could be the result of a number of factors. 

Firstly, during your update, if you do not update the remaining days then the activity will slip by the factor in which you are updating.

Secondly, your duration change may be the result of adding resource, changing units over time or updating units for the resource.  Check which duration type you are using and refer to the P6 manual for an explanation on the different scheduling options. 

Your activity should not change due to the calendar you are using.  The duration should remain constant from the time you assigned the calendar.  Rescheduling will not change the duration.  However, if you update the calendar with say public holidays, or revised shift patterns, this could affect the activity duration.

Hope this helps. 

Simon

Alaa Al haj
User offline. Last seen 7 years 11 weeks ago. Offline

Check your calendars