Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

How to reduce original duration while updating Schedule

11 replies [Last post]
Neelmani Kumar
User offline. Last seen 6 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

I have an activity  which is not started and its original  duration is 365 days but that activity is going to be completed in 180 days in actual , I want to squeeze the original duration so that my milestone dates remain in control.

Please explain how can I squeeze these duration without changing original duration as I don’t want to change my baseline schedule. Apart from that I would like to mention that I am updating this schedule by fixed duration and unit method( I don’t use expected finish date for updating the schedule instead of that I use remaining duration and unit update)    

Replies

Neelmani Kumar

Joshua Agyare : Thanks 

Joshua Agyare
User offline. Last seen 5 years 9 weeks ago. Offline

Sir, if you want to reduce the expected duration of the project you might need to crush the project meaning your schudele will be ahead of time but you may need to employ more resources meaning more cost. are you prepared to or your client are they prepared to take on more cost, another way to do this and maintain your budged is to postpone work on some activities that will not have any effect on the project and more that resource to speed up other work requiring same resource on the wbs . Unless you have alternate means..but keep me updated.

Joshua Agyare

Sir, if you want to reduce the expected duration of the project you might need to crush the project meaning your schudele will be ahead of time but you may need to employ more resources meaning more cost. are you prepared to or your client are they prepared to take on more cost, another way to do this and maintain your budged is to postpone work on some activities that will not have any effect on the project and more that resource to speed up other work requiring same resource on the wbs . Unless you have alternate means..but keep me updated.

Joshua Agyare

Neelmani Kumar

Zoltan Palffy : Sir , when i am reducing the ramining duration , it reduces the original duration also as that activity is not started , but i want to reduce the expected finish date of project. 

Joshua Agyare : Sir, We are during only time base planning, not resouce base , for the resouce we have considered unit resource for each activity  

Neelmani Kumar

Zoltan Palffy : Sir , when i am reducing the ramining duration , it reduces the original duration also as that activity is not started , but i want to reduce the expected finish date of project. 

Joshua Agyare : Sir, We are during only time base planning, not resouce base , for the resouce we have considered unit resource for each activity  

Joshua Agyare

once 1 activity date changes, all other activity dtes will change if you have reduce duration from 365 to 180, it means you are ahead of time, what about your budget, did you spend more to achieve this or your budget was not affected, `I mean original.

Joshua Agyare

once 1 activity date changes, all other activity dtes will change if you have reduce duration from 365 to 180, it means you are ahead of time, what about your budget, did you spend more to achieve this or your budget was not affected, `I mean original.

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 days 12 hours ago. Offline

the whole project  ?

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 1 week 4 days ago. Offline

What type of task is 365 days long?

That is planning nonsense.

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 days 12 hours ago. Offline

just reduce the remaining duration